Ho ho ho-liday season

Madison Ford

I love the holiday season. There is not another time of year when there is such an unequivocal sense of togetherness. Yes, I am aware that with the holidays comes familial contentions, but the joy of the season cannot be denied. Communities come together to help the less fortunate, families come from around the state and around the country to visit loved ones, people spend time considering what the best gift would be for someone they care about. However, there is something lacking in the holiday season that i wish we could get back, and that is acknowledgement of it in schools.

It is not as if there has always been an absence of holiday spirit in schools. I remember the holiday parties of elementary school, where we would make crafts, and parents would bring snacks and we could all celebrate the season with our friends, not our family. I am not sure if there is less mention of the winter holidays now due to our maturity (i.e. us no longer being 7 years old) or if it is an ever-greatening suppression of religious sentiments in schools. Either way, holiday celebration in schools is something I miss.

I am aware that not everyone shares my views of holiday celebration in school. One of our countries laws is the separation of church and state, a law that, for the most part, I agree with. However, I wish this law was not as stringent as it has now become. I am a Catholic and celebrate Christmas as a holiday at this time of the year. However, one of my favorite parts of the holiday season is that it is not only a holiday season for Christians. Other religions celebrate religious milestones around this time. I like the thought that people of all different religious beliefs are celebrating with loved ones.

In the end it is this spirit, of celebration, and togetherness, and understanding that I wish we could re-implant into our schools. Rather than turning a blind eye on all religious affiliations at this time of the year, why not bring acknowledgement to all celebratory events, religious and otherwise. By doing so, not only will we begin to learn about the passions and beliefs of our fellow peers, but we will begin to become more culturally aware. Winter break should be about more than just two weeks at home in the winter. It should be about celebrating the human spirit and all the good things we have to cherish in the world.