Rangel Marches On

By: Chris Cummins

Charlie Rangel, the once feared Democratic member of Congress and influential member of the House Ways and Means Committee, was convicted Tuesday on 11 counts of ethics charges.  Among the most egregious violations in Rangel’s repertoire was his failure to report his Dominican beach house on his tax returns, something Mr. Rangel attributed to his inability to speak Spanish.  A colorful Representative, Rangel is known for his bright suits and his flamboyant personality, the latter of which was on full display during his investigation, and has been representing the district of Harlem for over 40 years.

Despite this high profile corruption charge, and the negative publicity surrounding both Mr. Rangel and the Democratic Party, Rangel was elected triumphantly in this election cycle’s primaries, beating back a field of five challengers, and the predictions that he would lose his longtime seat, due to the allegations of ethics charges. In an even more ominous note, the House Ethics Committee gave their recommendation that he be censured, the second most severe punishment that can be leveled against a Congressman or Senator. Regardless, the future of Mr. Rangel’s political career, despite the ethics charges, seems as bright and distinguished as it ever was, mainly due to the support and loyalty his constituents have for him. Regarded as a legendary figure in Harlem, the voters there seem to care only about his service, rather than his ethical inequities, and Mr. Rangel looks to continue to be an influential and prominent member of Congress.

For more information on Mr. Rangel, visit his website: http://rangel.house.gov/