CHS math teacher Mr. Fields proves to be a big Ranger fan from the beginning

by Abby Drake

Photo Courtesy: Arden Radford

Coppell High School’s math teacher Michael Fields has been an avid Texas Rangers fan every since he was a small boy, listening to the games on radio and imagining the mystical magical world of Arlington Stadium.

As a child Fields was enthralled by the Texas Rangers and collected only baseball cards of Texas players. He and his brother would spend their time listening to the game on the radio since they lived in east Texas, far from the ballpark.

Time passed and Fields found himself as an even bigger Ranger fan than before. He witnessed a piece of Ranger history when he saw Nolan Ryan pitch a no hitter in Oakland. After the game he went out and bought Ryan’s rookie card to add to his childhood collection.

“I hit gold on that [Nolan Ryan’s rookie card]. It was the gem of my baseball card collection,” Fields said.

For as long as Fields had been a fan the Rangers never grasped a championship, so to represent his favorite team Fields decided to wear his Texas Rangers T-shirt to the Super Bowl XXVII at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif. In 1993 between the Dallas Cowboys and Buffalo Bills.

“I got a ton of questions about my shirt and I told them that the Cowboys already won a title and I will wear my Rangers shirt to every Cowboy game until they win one,” Fields said.

Fields had made it his one life goal to see the Texas Ranger in the World Series, and this year they finally made it. The Rangers have made a large impact on Fields and he hopes to pass it down to his children.

“The team has inspired me and it is something I want to pass down to my son and daughter, so we go to games often,” Fields said.

Fields was up early on the phone and online for four hours trying to get World Series tickets with no luck. He is going to try buying some scalped tickets this weekend for him and his family. It seems that Fields will try anything for the chance to see the team that he has loved since childhood.