Stitching a hobby into an overwhelming life

Katie Park
With homework and assignments consuming most of a high school student’s time, school can be hard to escape from. The Sidekick staff writer Katie Park discusses how hobbies are a great way to decompress from academic expectations and provide an outlet for creative freedom.

Beneath the compilation of the assignments lifelessly sprawled on my desk, my eyes focus on the red sketchbook hiding beneath the ocean of papers, crying to be noticed. 

Everyday has the same redundant routine. 

I go to school, come home, then spend the rest of the night attempting to cram information into my brain, in addition to an endless agenda of assignments. My focus would fixate on my laptop until midnight, my eyes begging for sleep.

I find homework and expectations filling up the space in my life that used to be filled with the activities that I deeply enjoyed. 

In elementary school, my carefree life consisted of afternoons spent drawing hearts on the pavement, my fingers smeared with pink chalk dust. I had time to binge the latest cartoon episodes while having time remaining for flipping through picturebooks.

Where did that time go?

Tenth grade was a huge leap from ninth grade, with drastic changes in the volume of assignments. I almost never have the time to let the ink of my markers bleed onto a white page, fabricating an image. Time does not spare for cutting old fabric, turning them into clumsy bucket hats.

For the majority, breaks from school are the only time I get to release my creativity. 

During winter break, I spent the entire two weeks dedicating my time into sewing a dress from scratch. I sketched a design in my sketchbook and got to work. I carefully took measurements and cut out pieces of red fabric, using a hair straightener to iron the folds out. The process was extremely intricate and complex, and having no official experience with sewing, it took many trials and attempts.

With homework and assignments consuming most of a high school student’s time, school can be hard to escape from. The Sidekick staff writer Katie Park exhibits her interests in sewing as an outlet from schoolwork and academic expectations.
(Katie Park)

Although it took quite some effort, I found it comforting as it allowed me to contrast creativity  into my daily academic life. 

We use our left brain for critical thinking, reasoning and analysis. Students rely on this part of their brain for their core classes: English, math, science and history. The right side of our brain is used for creative and imaginative ability. Hobbies or classes such as art or music depict this right-mindedness. 

We should find a balance in our life to use both sides of the brain, and a great way to balance school is through hobbies. 

Art and sewing is one of the ways I can utilize my creative thinking. I have to think about what patterns would make a good combination, what colors would highlight the piece and so much more. I see the world from a different perspective, drawing in on the little details that make a whole. 

Alas, if only I had so much time for my hobbies. Time management is something I have been trying to navigate, with school work compiling in my schedule.

Something I’ve tried is to set time aside in between studying or doing homework. After two hours of shoving the details of cardiopulmonary diseases into my brain, I would take a break for a few minutes to watch the latest K-drama episode. After about 30 minutes, the nagging pressure on my mind forces me to study for the upcoming Algebra II test. 

The vicious cycle of study and stress repeats, but the interruption of  hobbies can ease the tediousness.

In between studying, allow spare time for little activities such as strumming a guitar to your favorite song or stitching a crochet penguin for your friend.

Hobbies are activities that allow you to free yourself from the overwhelming nature of life and provide a way to express your individual interests.

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter

1