Smeda setting standards beyond blackboard (with video)

Elizabeth De Santiago
Coppell High School Algebra II teacher Christopher Smeda has held many unique jobs over the course of his life. Smeda is in his third year of teaching and has made it his goal to leave a positive impact on his students.

Upon first glance, Coppell High School Algebra II teacher Christopher Smeda’s unassuming LinkedIn profile simply reads ‘Husband, Dad.’ To most, this would be an insignificant detail to have listed for potential employers — but to Smeda, it is a worthy acknowledgment to prioritize, despite all the other accomplishments recorded one scroll below.

Whether it be assisting open-heart surgeries, working as a Loan Manager at Wells Fargo, or an account manager at Google, Smeda is no stranger to a hectic environment. 

Born and raised in South Africa, Smeda experienced a unique upbringing compared to most in the country. He credits these beginnings to his commitment to striving for a higher standard.

“My time in South Africa was a little different,” Smeda said. “I went to an all-boys high school. Because of that background, I was really pushed for high excellence when it came to education.” 

Smeda first moved to the United States in 2001 as a teenager after his father had accepted a job offer with Wells Fargo.

“We moved on the same day as the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks,” Smeda said. “I was actually flying to America the exact same day and our plane was diverted to Canada. We stayed at the military barracks.”

Once settled in Iowa, Smeda then attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, graduating with a degree in business management while also studying marketing and finance. While studying at BYU, Smeda also served as a rugby referee where he first met his wife. 

Four months later, Smeda moved to Arizona to begin working for Wells Fargo. After four years of successfully moving up the corporate ladder, Smeda took a leap of faith and decided to quit his job in order to pursue cardiology. 

“The job treated me well,” Smeda said. “But I was working 10 hours a day, six days a week and even on my off days I was still in conferences and meetings. I am a bit of a workaholic as well which is why I got promoted so quickly. But for the sake of my family, it was not a good fit.”

With virtually only his wife’s unwavering support, Smeda was able to complete the necessary prerequisites for medicine receiving his doctoral degree at Arizona State University while finishing at the top of his classes for biochemistry and molecular biology.

“At that point, I was really enjoying my biology and anatomy classes, which is interesting because I never really cared for those subjects in school,” Smeda said. 

Smeda went on to study at the Texas Heart Institute and Midwestern University, where he performed his clinical rotations nearly every day. In 2020, Smeda was laid off from the hospital due to COVID-19. 

Out of a job and needing to find a way to provide for his family, Smeda began substituting at a local high school in Austin where he was invited to begin teaching full time. Despite only looking to teach chemistry and science-related subjects, that was not what the principal had in mind for Smeda.

“The last time I had taken any math class was maybe 20 years ago, so I really had to refresh my memory,” Smeda said. “I could teach basically any science course, but they insisted that I teach math because that is what was available. Within a year, I had my teaching license.”

Initially, Smeda had his fears about teaching math because it was not an area he felt strong in. After his first few days on the job, he realized that there was nothing to be afraid of. 

Despite the 2023-24 school year being his first time teaching at Coppell High School and only his third year teaching overall, Smeda is making a positive impact on his students through his engaging teaching style.

“He seems genuine in wanting us to learn,” sophomore Matteo Zanelli said. “There is nothing bad I can say about this guy. He is super involved. We have never had a class where he was not talking or teaching. The way he teaches is not boring to me.”

Smeda puts emphasis on allowing his students to figure things out amongst themselves, interfering as little as he can and opting to facilitate the learning process when possible. 

“He is very dedicated,” sophomore Lucy Ko said. “Even if it is not math, he actually cares about people’s personal lives.”

Smeda’s utmost goal is to have his students wanting to learn. When most think of sitting in an algebra class for an hour and a half, excitement is not typically what they anticipate to feel. But under Smeda’s guidance, students work together and find solutions to tough problems. 

“Even in my years prior to teaching, I was hard on myself because I saw the friends that I had grown up with become really successful and I wasn’t where I wanted to be in my career.” Smeda said. “That was really difficult for me, but as a teacher now, I really would like to make a difference in students’ lives. I do not know how much of a difference I am making right now, but I just want to help them move forward.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.