Restoring lives of human trafficking survivors

Sofía Exposito
Human trafficking is a prevalent crisis worldwide and an issue needing to be addressed, according to The Sidekick staff writer Katie Park. Park thinks organizations can provide support towards the subject and how Coppell can take initiative towards the restoration of the lives of victims of sexual abuse. Sofia Exposito

Sexual exploitation and human trafficking is a global issue, one that predominantly affects women of all ages, races and backgrounds throughout the world. They are left feeling worthless and abandoned as they are put through sexual trauma at an early age. 

Human trafficking and sexual exploitation has been a corruption to society and organizations have been a main role in restoring hope to sexual abuse survivors. My Refuge House (MRH) is an organization which works to restore the lives of women and young girls. This home in Cebu, Philippines provides shelter and education for survivors who have gone through experiences of sexual trauma within their life. 

According to My Refuge House, there is an overwhelming number of cases of Online Sexual Exploitation of Children (OSEC) in the Philippines, growing from 19,000 in 2019 to almost 50,000 in 2020. 

Refuge House Director of Program operations Rose Ann Ababa utilizes her profession and skill as a social worker to provide the girls at My Refuge House a fulfilling life by giving them an education and a safe place to live. People with a passion in the restoring of lives can directly influence the goal of spreading awareness to a national crisis, such as human trafficking.

My Refuge House has partnered with Fashioned for Freedom for 10 years, an annual fundraising event that showcases designs, dance performances and musical illustration, with all profits going to My Refuge House in Cebu. This year, it hosted an event in Dallas, encouraging locals to attend. Fashioned for Freedom has supported survivors of sexual abuse through raising money towards funding the home in Cebu as well as the girls’ education.

The Dallas Conservatory performs during Fashioned For Freedom on Oct. 25 at the Wyly Theatre. Fashioned For Freedom is a nonprofit runway show that benefits My Refuge House, an organization providing shelter and care for survivors of sexual exploitation and human trafficking for women and girls in Cebu, Philippines.  Katie Park

“Fashioned for Freedom’s hope is that people will connect to the issue of human trafficking in their own individual ways through their talent, like the models, designers and hair and makeup who volunteer to support the mission of My Refuge House,” director of engagement Kim Jones said.

These people utilize their talents and passions towards a bigger cause, and can spread awareness of human trafficking through them. The same can be done by citizens of Coppell.

Coppell High School offers multiple clubs in which students can use their skill and talent to help others. Whether it might be creating artsy cards for patients in hospitals, or donating blankets for the homeless, you can make an impact starting from your local high school.

Texas has had many tragic crimes of human trafficking, an even bigger reason why taking initiative is highly beneficial in protecting our nation. Citizens of Coppell can work together to reduce human trafficking through Coppell organizations.

Volunteer opportunities in Coppell, such as the Assistance League of Coppell and the Coppell Lions Club, are a few options in which you can donate your attention toward spreading awareness for these situations. 

With everyone’s contribution, we can make Coppell a dominating force that changes the statistics of human trafficking starting locally, then making an impact globally. Starting with something as simple as raising money at bake sales or a car wash can positively impact the face of sexual exploitation, whether it might be providing them food on their table or an education opportunity.

Sexual exploitation is a recurring injustice towards women and girls, and it is high time that we start making a difference.

Follow @katiegpark and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.