Enjoying the spookiest time of the year: Halloween

Safiya Azam
Halloween is a popular holiday that is surrounded by frights and festivities. The Sidekick staff writer EV Kennard explores what this spooky holiday means to different people and how they celebrate it.

Free candy, dressing up and scaring your friends: the three activities children, teens and tweens look forward to on Halloween.

Whether you are just passing out candy or simply chaperoning children for parents, we are here for all things Halloween.

Halloween is all things ghosts, zombies and other equally dead monsters. Not disincluding heros, villains, dragons or other creatures of the night or day. There is no judgment. So get those costumes, decorations and spook-tastic attitudes ready for the night of fright. You only have so much time left before the big night finally comes around.

The Sidekick advises parents to watch out for your kids sneaking one or two extra pieces of candy. Halloween comes with candy and with candy comes the sugar rush of their lives.

However, to get candy in the first place, you have to go trick-or-treating. A timeless tradition of knocking on doors of friends and neighbors,  expecting either a sweet treat or boo-tastic trick. Or even a bag of nutritious, sugar free snacks if you’re unlucky.

“Trick-or-treating during Halloween is my favorite, because it combines the thrill of adventure with a sweet reward,” Coppell High School sophomore Kathrine Kroft said. 

Just don’t expect candy by just showing up. If you want a sweet treat, pull out those costumes and get to wearing them. Costumes are a fundamental part of Halloween without a costume you’d just be you; and how are you supposed to show off your in-treat-ible scaring skills then?

While many now feel ‘too old,’ the only rule is to be in costume as you go door to door and to recite the three magic words: “trick-or-treat” in hopes you get a terrific treat to fill your candy bag. 

Costumes are about getting creative. Be a creature or hero that no one has heard of. While you may get a few “what are you?” in the end you’ll feel good knowing you were in costume and embracing the Halloween spirit. 

If you don’t have a costume, don’t worry, you can be a sheet ghost. Halloween welcomes its ghostly roamers.

Fear not if your goal isn’t trick-or-treating this year there are plenty of other activities you can do this Halloween. For example, decorating. You can decorate with carved pumpkins, spooky spiders or maybe even foam graves. Needless to say there’s more than one way to decorate this year. 

Halloween only comes around once a year, yet many hold this spooky holiday dear in their hearts, the one time of year you can dress up in a costume and fill up on candy galore. Stay safe and spooky this year. But most importantly, have fun.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.