Ratliff rocks her fringe to the top

Coppell junior Lariettes lieutenant Emme Ratliff is announced at Buddy Echols Field during halftime of the Cowboys game with Lewisville on Sept. 29 at Buddy Echols Field. Ratliff is one of six Lariette officers and has been an avid dancer for the past 14 years. (Rhea Choudhary)

Coppell High School junior Lariettes lieutenant Emme Ratliff has had dance be a vital part of her identity as she has been doing it her whole life, along with dancing competitively for the past nine years. Being a part of the PACT dance company, Ratliff is also a student at Dana’s Studio of Dance in Coppell. 

What does the position of being a Lariettes junior lieutenant consist of?

My role involves assisting our coaches in directing the team to ensure we’re all performing at our absolute best. I work closely with our captain, Elise Kaniff, and the other officers to coordinate practices, routines and performances. While it is a leadership role with a responsibility, I love the opportunity to help every Lariette shine.

Coppell junior Lariettes lieutenant Emme Ratliff performs the iconic kick line dance during halftime at the Cowboys game against Hebron at Hawk Stadium on Oct. 20. Ratliff is one of six Lariette officers and has been an avid dancer for the past 14 years. (Ainsley Dwyer)

How long have you been dancing?

I’ve been dancing my whole life, but I have been dancing competitively for nine years. I began my journey at Dana’s Studio of Dance, and it’s been an incredible experience dancing at the PACT dance company ever since. Dance has always been a part of my life, and I can’t imagine ever giving it up.

Why did you decide to continue dancing in high school?

While I knew that high school is an important time for growth and the grades you acquire are especially crucial, dance has always been a vital part of my identity. Dance is not just about the movements; it’s about the bonds I’ve formed with my dance family and the lessons I’ve learned. Dance has given me some of my favorite memories, along with teaching me discipline and teamwork, which is how I knew I wanted to continue this journey in high school.

Coppell Lariette junior lieutenant Emme Ratliff cheers for the Cowboys against South Grand Prairie on Sept. 1. Ratliff is one of six Lariette officers and has been an avid dancer for the past 14 years. (Rhea Choudhary)

What lessons have you learned from dancing competitively and within the school team?

Dancing competitively and as part of a school team has taught me many valuable life lessons. First, I’ve learned the importance of time management. Balancing dance, schoolwork, and other commitments can be challenging, but it has taught me how to prioritize and make the most of my time. I’ve also learned how important perseverance is. Dance isn’t always the easiest, and there are times when you have to push through physical and mental barriers. That determination and resilience are skills that extend far beyond the dance floor and have been helping me face various challenges. 

Finally, I’ve learned how much teamwork matters. Because being part of a dance team, especially the Lariettes, has shown me the strength of unity and how much more we can achieve when we all work together. The bonds I’ve formed with the other Lariette members are irreplaceable and being a part of this group has given me experiences I’ll carry with me throughout my life.

What is a piece of advice for people deciding whether or not they want to try out for Lariettes?

Follow your heart and passion. If you have a genuine love for dance and the desire to be a part of an amazing team, don’t hesitate to take that chance. It’s not just about the routines and performances; it’s about the personal growth and the unforgettable experiences you’ll gain. The Lariettes are a family, and if you’re passionate about dance, you’ll find a second home with us. So, go for it with all your heart, give it your best, and you might discover your incredible journey, just as I did.

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @CHSCampusNews on X