Two minutes added to each high school class period to comply with TEA

Kayla Nguyen
Students fill Coppell High School’s main hallway during third passing period on Aug. 15. Coppell ISD has added two minutes to each class period to adjust to a new Texas Education Agency (TEA) policy. Photo by Kayla Nguyen

On Oct. 10, Coppell High School, Coppell High School Ninth Grade Campus and New Tech High School @ Coppell implemented a new daily bell schedule, increasing each period by two minutes, making each passing period eight minutes. 

This adjustment was in response to the Texas Education Agency’s recent revision to the Student Attendance Accounting Handbook in September regarding the number of educational minutes spent in school, notably Career and Technical Education classes. The policy was created to meet state requirements of the number of educational minutes spent in a classroom.

“We want to make sure that we are serving our kids, community and families as best as possible,” CHS associate principal Zane Porter said. “This change allows us to show that we are playing fairly and that we are completely transparent with the community.”

In addition to supporting students academically, this schedule change also supports the school financially. 

“We have to make sure that students get enough minutes that the state says is enough, so that the school gets full funding which helps us pay our teachers and maintain the building,” Porter said. “These things work together because the funds we get depends on the number of educational minutes we have.”

According to the new law, it is required to have 90 minutes of class time every other day. Events such as early release days, pep rallies and the fact there is not an equal number of A and B days per semester, do not count toward educational minutes at high schools. To meet the state requirement and make up for the lost time, two minutes were added to each class period. 

“We felt that it was better to take a little bit of time in between classes rather than extend the school day or start earlier,” CHS assistant principal Sorelle Kimball said. 

This new schedule also impacts other schedules, such as lunch and shuttle timings.

“Things are being manipulated, and we just want to make sure that we are doing what is best for all involved,” Porter said. “One thing changes, and then that has a domino effect on other parts.”

Two minutes can have a benefit in the long term, according to CHS AP Biology teacher Dr. Bianca Benitez.

“Right now, people just think that this will not make a difference because it is only two minutes,” Dr. Benitez said. “But if you consider two minutes over a span of a school year then I think it can potentially have a profound impact. I am all for it.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.