Campus adjusts to adapt to extreme heat

Activities going back to normal with cooler weather this week
Namir Awan
The Coppell High School Band practices in the CHS parking lot on Sept. 7 with temperatures hitting 104 degrees. High temperatures have hit Coppell throughout the summer.

The heat in Texas has been at its worst, with temperatures crossing 100 degrees. Zooming into Coppell, athletics and fine arts programs in Coppell High School have had to make several adjustments to combat the scorching heat.

According to The Dallas Morning News this weather in North Texas is because of a heat dome. 

The Coppell Band in particular has been affected with late after-school rehearsals that have been pushed back to 6:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. For the first time events have been delayed due to the new University Interscholastic League heat guidelines, which state that practices cannot be outside if the Wet Bulb Globe heat index is above 92.

“After talking to the administration, we realized [our regular rehearsal time] wasn’t going to be feasible because it would be too hot, so they advised us to push back,” Coppell Band director Kimberly Shuttlesworth said.

The past few band rehearsals have been taking place indoors for the most part, practicing in the fieldhouse when it’s too sunny outside, and shifting to Buddy Echols field in the evening when the weather is cooler. 

Band members also have had to dress accordingly to protect themselves from the heat by wearing sunscreen and hats.

“[The rehearsals] are tiring, but I understand why we have to do it,” sophomore Yuga Madalagi said.

The band had to find ways to adjust during their summer camp during the months of July and August since they were not able to go outside during their night blocks. The band also had to move its master classes to 5 p.m. rather than 4 p.m., and then went to the Large Gym from 6 p.m to 7:45 p.m.

“Hopefully it will lighten up [this month] so we can go back to normal,” Shuttlesworth said.

Meanwhile, classrooms and hallways at CHS have also been impacted.

The heat has impacted several air conditioning units in the school, leaving many classrooms with no cool air. 

“It takes longer to get [air conditioner parts] here, so we’re working as hard as we can to get the systems working and operational,” CHS Principal Laura Springer said. 

Kickoff times for the first two home football games were pushed back one hour and 30 minutes, respectively, to avoid the heat. Springer expressed that this was the first time she has seen athletic events affected by the weather.

“This is the first time it has really been so pronounced,” Springer said. “I know that [the school] had heat waves that came through in the past, but I do not remember it being a problem.”

According to The Dallas Morning News a cold front has moved in this week, reducing temperatures and bringing with it some rain chances.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.