Embracing individuality: Freedom of fashion at CHS

Kavya Lokhande
The ability to dress freely encourages self expression and exploration. The Sidekick staff writer Rhea Choudhary delves into the limitations and negative side effects school uniforms present.

As the time rounds towards 8:50 a.m., the halls of Coppell High School come alive with a vibrant display of individuality. Students walk through the front doors wearing a wide array of styles and colors, each outfit speaking volumes about the person beneath the fabric. 

It’s a unique scene embodying the spirit of self-expression, emphasizing how it’s not just what we wear; it’s about who we are. 

Uniforms may have their advantages, such as eliminating the pressure to conform to trendy brands and ensuring a unified appearance, but they also stifle our creativity and self-expression. As teenagers, we’re known for our desire to convey our emotions, music preferences, fashion sense, and artistic inclinations through our clothing, hairstyles, piercings and accessories. Uniform policies, when strictly enforced, can make us feel like we’re under a microscope, constantly judged for our appearance, and penalized for the slightest deviation from the prescribed dress code. 

“Students not wearing uniforms helps me learn so much about these teens,” CHS Principal Laura Springer reflects. “For example, seeing what kinds of T-shirts they wear, how they color or style their hair daily, their grunge wear, their prep wear. I love when we have spirit days, such as a cultural dress-up day because it makes me happy to see those who are proud of who they are and where they come from. However, some days, I definitely want to enforce uniforms because some students just don’t know how to dress appropriately at school.”

Her perspective resonates with many of us. School isn’t just about academic learning; it’s a training ground for the professional world. It’s where we learn how to navigate the intricacies of professionalism, and yes, that includes how we present ourselves. However, there’s a delicate balance to strike. Allowing students to express themselves through their attire empowers us to confidently make choices while still learning the importance of dressing appropriately when necessary.

In an increasingly diverse and individualistic ideal, CHS empowers its students by respecting their right to express themselves through their clothing choices. This freedom teaches us that with the ability to make choices come great responsibilities that mirror our inner selves and aspirations. Our clothing is more than just fabric; it’s a canvas upon which we paint our identities, beliefs and dreams.

So, as the debate over uniforms at numerous public high schools continues, let us remember that our clothing choices are a reflection of our individuality. Allowing us to express ourselves through fashion fosters an environment where students can grow into confident, self-assured individuals ready to thrive in a diverse and dynamic world beyond the school’s walls. It’s not just about what we wear; it’s about who we become through the power of personal style.

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @CHSCampusNews on X