Minori Kunte

Coppell High School junior Kate Nelson has been elected as the 2023-2024 Student Council parliamentarian. Nelson plans to work on dress up days and get the student body to engage in them.

Parliamentarian: Kate Nelson

Coppell High School junior Kate Nelson was recently elected as the 2023-24 Student Council parliamentarian. Nelson has been a member of the organization since her sophomore year, and this will be her second time being parliamentarian.

What are the roles of the parliamentarian?

In student council, we all help each other with our roles, but I’m the person who makes sure all the rules are followed, and I keep everything in check. It’s also really fun because I’m the person who bangs the gavel, and I’ve always wanted to do that.

What do you admire about the current leadership?

I admire how much work we put in. I didn’t know at the beginning of the year how many things we would be running behind the scenes. There was homecoming which I knew about but there was also prom and Red Ribbon Week and every single dress up day. It’s mainly about making sure you know what the student body wants, and I think it’s super cool that we can be the voice for the student body and not just some random teacher, who might not know the trends going on on TikTok.

What do you want to build on in the coming year?

We did a pretty good job this year, but I want to work on our dress up days because at the end of the day our main goal is to get everyone to participate in it so that we can look more united as a student body. We want to make really fun and engaging dress up days. This past year’s were fun, but they were all over the place, so we are hoping this year to keep being a voice for the student body and make sure that they are fun and engaging.

What are your goals as a senior?

I want to make sure that I stay a voice for the student body, and I really want to make sure everyone is engaged because it keeps things fun. I also want us to be informed on the cause that we are celebrating whether it’s things like red ribbon week or mental health week because it’s important that we know why we are celebrating.

Do you feel like student council has helped you grow as a person?

I understand my importance now that I hold a leadership position because I feel more like a role model. I like that feeling of knowing that everyone looks to me to make sure that their voice is heard and student council has been one of the best experiences of my life. The people I’ve met this year became some of my closest friends and it’s such a great community to be a part of.

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.