Nandini Muresh

Coppell High School senior Mau Sigler leads KCBY-TV as a program director. CHS students voted on the 19 most influential seniors in the graduating class of 2023.

Mau Sigler: Creative

Shivering students wrapped in blankets stand lethargically on metal bleachers at Buddy Echols Field as the Coppell football team faces McKinney in the first round of playoffs. Despite the battering and seemingly relentless wind, Coppell senior KCBY-TV producer Mau Sigler darts from endzone to endzone, dutifully carrying a tripod and donning a headset. 

This is Sigler’s norm. Throughout the football season, the videographer can be spotted at every game, whether that be conducting interviews, directing coverage or providing live clips of the action.

“I’m someone who focuses more on the technical aspect of things,” Sigler said. “For pep rallies, I was always one of the people who would run the video board and audio. I also bring a lot to the table when it comes to innovating our shows with new graphics, editing and things like that. That’s the biggest thing I can contribute.” 

Taught by KCBY adviser Irma Kennedy, the reporter leads the program by example. Instilled with seeking the truth and reporting it, minimizing harm, acting independently and being accountable and transparent, he brings local news to the Coppell community in engaging forms of multimedia. 

“Don’t sleep on student media,” Sigler said. “When enjoying yourself and looking at the video board, just know that there’s a lot of people who contribute to all these things and make sure that it’s fun for you and that’s what they’re passionate about. That’s something that everyone should acknowledge.”

Sigler will attend the University of Texas at Tyler to eventually attend the University of Texas at Austin through the Coordinated Admissions Program.