Council celebrates Cowgirls basketball, proclaims May as two different safety months

Ishana Sharma

Coppell Mayor Pro Tem Biju Mathew proclaims May as National Water Safety Month on the behalf of the Coppell City Council on Tuesday night at the Town Center. Members of The CORE will be handing out pamphlets regarding water safety programs and rules for Coppell Residents.

Nyah Rama, Staff Writer

The Coppell City Council met on Tuesday night and celebrated the Coppell girls basketball teams’ run to the Class 6A State Tournament. The team was awarded certificates by Mayor Pro Tem Biju Mathew and posed for photos as a group. Mayor Wes Mays could not attend the meeting.

Coppell sophomore Landry Sherrer receives a certificate from Mayor Pro Tem Biju Mathew as the Coppell City Council recognized the Cowgirls basketball team for advancing to the Class 6A State Tournament. The meeting was held at the Town Center on Tuesday night. Photo by Ishana Sharma (Ishana Sharma)

The council also proclaimed May as two safety months, Building Safety Month and National Water Safety Month. Building Safety Month will consist of themed weeks, one of which includes water safety, as well as multiple events to teach citizens about safety. National Water Safety Month consists of members of The CORE distributing pamphlets to Coppell citizens.

“I just want to say thank you to your entire team,” council member Brianna Hinojosa-Smith said. “I love that May is a safety month in Coppell and I love that you are doing things to ensure wider safety. Thank you for all that you do because you make it a safe place for everyone to come out and enjoy.”

Coppell resident Brianna Bailey spoke during the citizens’ appearance to discuss the radius of sidewalks on Plantation Drive.

“The city still talks about the directional curbs, but that’s not the problem,” Bailey said. “The problem is the sides of the curb ramps and the way the city designed the streets, they put more stuff in the streets and less in the other.”

Bailey also brought up the recent inflation in taxes Coppell residents are experiencing.

“There has been a 12 percent increase in taxes,” Bailey said. “We are probably going into recession and there’s a lot of people that are having financial difficulties and I think the city should be concerned about residents that are in that state. There also needs to be more oversight about the expenditures because there are so many ways for us to save money. The sidewalks, curbs, corners and return curbs installed cost two to four times the amount of money [$1,100]. They [the city] don’t give you all the information.”

The City Council will meet again on May 23.

Follow Nyah Rama (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.