Larson aspiring to be a future fashion icon

Rhea Choudhary, Staff Writer

Coppell High School senior Maddie Larson will attend The Business of Fashion and Lifestyle at LIM College in New York City. Larson holds a following of 13,500 on Instagram, where she posts about fashion and brand deals. (Vibha Viswanath)

As a young girl determined to do her best in gymnastics, Coppell High School senior Madison Larson has used her high school years as a vault into her future dream career. 

Larson started as a gymnast under Olympic Medalist and World Championships Gold Medalist coach Kim Zmeskal at Texas Dream Gymnastics. Larson was an avid gymnast and dedicated a great deal of her childhood towards the competitive sport, which eventually opened many doors for her future fashion endeavors.

“In my free time, I loved to be creative and design various leotards, making gymnastics a significant part of how my fashion career even had the chance to begin,” Larson said. “I began getting opportunities to model for various athletic brands as a gymnast, along with my social media gymnastics platform on Instagram, making me recognized as a gymnastics influencer.”

Larson utilized her position as a gymnast to propel her career, including walking for athletic brand Ivivva and Ozone Leotards’ runway show. She thoroughly enjoyed watching fashion-centri TV shows, such as “Next in Fashion” and “Project Runway,” that dually acted as a source of inspiration. These series are solely focused on fashion design with contestants competing against each other, having the goal to create the best clothes they can, while being restricted by time, materials and a given theme. 

Currently, Larson maintains a following on her Instagram platform of roughly 13,500,where she has a multitude of unique posts, adding to her aesthetic and illustrating who she is through each photo. 

Though her videos began getting views from her talented gymnastics routines, Larson began branching out her overall experience and accepting brand deals. Found in her highlights on her Instagram, Larson features any public relations  items sent to her from businesses to promote their products, including Healthish, Joycuff, Sunset Snuggles and Casetify

“Like most teenagers looking for outfit ideas, I spend a lot of my time and get inspired by Pinterest. I have enjoyed being able to make ‘statement pieces’, similar to what celebrities like Gigi Hadid, Bella Hadid, Dua Lipa and Britney Spears wear,” Larson said. “I try my best to make cohesive-themed pieces, which is why I love thrifting for clothes. Another celebrity I aspire to be like is Kate Barlett, famous for modeling for Dior and known for making her outfits through PR sent to her.”

Larson describes her morning routine as chaotic as she makes an effort to style her clothes in different ways each day, taking around 30 minutes to create her daily outfits. With her style being experimental and versatile, Larson always tries to make her look cohesive yet eclectic. 

“[Larson] doesn’t fail to be independent and creative, while separating herself from what others normally do, making her positively stand out with her unique style,” CHS business teacher Bruce Stewart said. “Having lived in other metropolitan cities, I believe [Larson] will adjust extremely well, following her passion of pursuing fashion in New York, and the fact that she’s greatly dedicated to what she wants to do, will take her far in her career.”

In the future, Larson aspires to be a celebrity stylist or a creative director who organizes photoshoots. From her experience in high school, she realized she wanted to pursue fashion school and has committed to study business and fashion at LIM College on 5th Avenue in New York City.

“As soon as she steps into the room, Maddie has a strong presence: she represents style, class and brains,” CHS chemistry teacher Kathleen Kamphaus said. “Underneath all her ‘sparkles’ is a very tenacious person who I looked forward to seeing daily, and I know that from how hard she worked in my class that the fashion industry will be in for an awakening with her mark being made.” 

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter