An ode to Taco Bell

Taco+Bell+is+a+global+fast+food+chain+that+has+been+around+for+60+years%2C+yet+is+one+of+the+few+with+a+separate+vegetarian+menu.+Its+vegetarian+menu+makes+Taco+Bell+more+inclusive+to+people+with+dietary+restrictions+and+is+something+other+fast+food+chains+should+consider.+

Shreya Ravi

Taco Bell is a global fast food chain that has been around for 60 years, yet is one of the few with a separate vegetarian menu. Its vegetarian menu makes Taco Bell more inclusive to people with dietary restrictions and is something other fast food chains should consider.

Shreya Ravi, Staff Photographer

Most people find comfort in McDonald’s cheeseburgers or Chick-Fil-A’s chicken sandwiches with what I’ve heard as “the best dipping sauce on the planet.” But over the years of my development, I have found safety and comfort in Taco Bell. What’s not to love? 

Between the soft fluffy tortillas and irresistible combination of beans, cheese and lettuce, I have never left disappointed. 

Taco Bell is a global fast food chain that has been around for 60 years, yet is one of the few with a separate vegetarian menu. Its vegetarian menu makes Taco Bell more inclusive to people with dietary restrictions and is something other fast food chains should consider. Shreya Ravi

As a vegetarian, I never feel as represented as my other meat-eating friends at most fast-food places. Whether it be Wendy’s or KFC, I must limit myself to a carton of fries or just a simple milkshake.  

When eateries present vegetarian options to me, I always have to squint to find the few items marked with a green leaf next to them, while my friends have the luxury of browsing the entire menu. At Taco Bell, I can rely on a diverse vegetarian menu that still tastes delectable.

I cannot help but think about what it was like when my parents first came to America in 2000. They were determined to never let Western traditions influence their identity, even when they were 8,500 miles away from their homes in south and central India. I have to wonder how they did it.

If finding vegetarian options is not that easy now, it would have been worse 20 years ago. Why is it that major fast food chains have not evolved for 20 years? Do they think adding one singular plant-based burger amongst the entire menu of meat options is enough?

For now, I can still rely on my mother’s variety of cooking and not think about accidentally getting pieces of chicken in my food (except when I naively thought those bright red circles on a pepperoni pizza were just tomatoes). But my respect for other vegetarians has grown throughout high school as I celebrate their determination to swim upstream to honor a commitment they made to themselves. 

It would be easy to succumb and order chicken nuggets or cheeseburgers, but doing that means breaking the promise I made to myself to retain my culture. Keeping that promise all these years has shaped me to appreciate my background and not sacrifice it for anything.

So when my friends ask me why I do not eat meat, I simply shift the conversation and stick to my carton of fries. Beyond looks and smells, I refuse to sacrifice my culture and identity. My parents’ determination to keep our heritage afloat inspires me to stay true to who I am and not let Western tradition crack my cultural foundation. 

Until other fast food chains follow suit, I wholeheartedly say that Taco Bell will always be my primary choice. I can relish my delicious and soft tortilla stuffed with black beans, lettuce and cheese or appreciate the crispy potatoes and the spicy chipotle sauce, all knowing that I continue to respect and honor the culture and traditions I and my parents have followed for my entire life.

Follow Shreya (@shreya3220) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter