It’s OK to take a break

CHS9 comfort room providing safe haven for struggling freshmen

Yaamini Jois

Many students who enter high school experience anxiety due to a shift in workload. To alleviate this, CHS9 has a comfort room located in the counselor suite which has blankets, puzzles and snacks to give freshmen a safe place to take a break and destress.

Anvita Bondada, Staff Writer

As a CHS9 student walks through the hallways of the school, they feel the weight of not only the numerous assignments in their backpack, but also the new responsibilities and stress that comes with being a new high school student. 

In such situations, they can walk to the comfort room.

The comfort room is where students can go if they are anxious or overwhelmed. CHS9 counselor Katie Walker was inspired by Coppell Middle School North’s comfort room, and she believed that high school students could benefit from it as well. 

It was implemented in spring 2022, and is located across from the counselor suite in CHS9’s front office. 

Its main purpose is to enable students to take a break from a rigorous classroom environment, and students can stay there for 10-15 minutes before going back to class once they feel better. Freshmen may have difficulties assimilating to the demanding workload and the stringent class structure of high school as they are just starting out, so the comfort room can act as a safe haven for new high school students that are starting to feel burnt out.

“Most of the kids that come in usually just need a break from class, and need a quiet place to think,” Walker said. “Especially with a block schedule, students are constantly having to cram information, so it’s a good way for them to take a breath and come back to class once they are ready.”

Students have found that going to the room is a good way to cope with pressures outside of school as well. Adorned with calming blue walls and fairy lights, it provides a welcoming atmosphere which can help provide a distraction. 

“I didn’t realize how beneficial the comfort room was until I was told to go there,” Coppell High School sophomore Anushka Joshi said. “I was going through a really difficult time in freshman year and I was surprised at how much it helped to clear my head. The people there were really understanding of my situation, and the room was really welcoming.”

However, many students were not aware of the comfort room’s existence in the first place. Some freshmen wish it was more talked about, and that they were more informed.

“I feel like no one really knows about the room, so there is some stigma around going to it,” freshman Greeshma Marathu said. “I think if teachers made it more clear that it’s there, like mentioning at the beginning of the year in classroom rules, people would feel better about going more often.”

However, the counselors are working hard to eliminate any possible stigma by reminding students to check up on their mental health and to know the first signs of stress.

“I think it’s really important to check in with yourself, and to look out for those stressors, such as if your heart is racing, and if you can’t breath well,” Walker said. “I feel like that’s a good way to know if you are stressed and need to come to the comfort room.”

Follow Anvita Bondada (@anvita_bondada) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter