Youth and Government victorious at district conference

Vibha Viswanath

Coppell High School junior Atiya Merchant delivers a con speech during the Youth and Government meeting after school on Wednesday. Youth and Government won three legislative medals during the district conference on November 5th.

Deepali Kanchanavally, Staff Writer

With tense feelings in the air, delegates from all across the Metroplex raced to further their points and present their ideas. Sparks of energy flew through the room as excitement among the competitors rose. Applauds were ample for Coppell High School’s Youth and Government  (YG) team, as three legislative medals were brought home. 

The three legislative medals were won at this year’s YG District 5 Conference on Nov. 5 at R. L. Turner High School in Carrollton. 

Youth and Government is a national organization run by the YMCA focused on teaching students how the United States government runs through the modeling of courts, legislation committees and more. District conferences take place yearly where students participate in mock trials and present their respective bills. 

From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a lunch break in between, delegates gathered in rooms to debate bills. After this, all of the legislative delegates gathered in the auditorium to debate two bills chosen by the adjudicators, and the awards ceremony followed soon after. 

After debating, medals were awarded to delegates who spoke well and asked impactful questions in their rooms. CHS sophomore Navya Singh and juniors Atiya Merchant and Ansh Jarmarwala won legislative medals.

Singh participated in YG in seventh grade at Coppell Middle School West and rejoined this year, as the organization was not available during her eighth and ninth grade years. 

“It would be an absolute dream of mine to hold a political position, and Youth and Government helped me realize that was possible,” Singh said. “It felt absolutely wonderful to win the medal. Coming back to Youth and Government after two years and going through the debate process made me feel super comfortable and almost nostalgic.”

This year is Merchant’s first in YG. She joined the club in hopes of achieving a better understanding of the government, learning new topics and getting out of her comfort zone. 

“It felt like a really big achievement because in the beginning, I wasn’t very sure about my abilities,” Merchant said. “Knowing that I was able to speak at district and win an award felt eye opening because it made me think about the fact that this is a passion I might want to pursue.”

Jarmarwala was also a part of YG at CMSW. After hearing about the club’s expansion to CHS and a two year break, Jarmarwala rejoined.

“[At the district conference,] Coppell Youth and Government was so much better than we expected it to be,” Jarmarwala said. “Everyone has that natural ability to speak.”

A lot of hard work at weekly meetings lies behind these successes. Meetings are a way for delegates to create their bills, research topics, learn about general knowledge, practice speeches and bond with one another. 

In the legislative section of the competition, delegates write bills about topics they are passionate about and want to bring a change to. 

In addition to the governmental aspect of the organization, another important part is the bonds students make with other delegates. Since the organization spans across the nation, there are plenty of opportunities for friendships and connections to be made with delegates who might not have met each other otherwise.

“The bonds I’ve built with everyone have been my favorite part,” Merchant said. “I have never felt out of place or in an environment I’m not welcome in.”

YG delegates discuss issues that not only affect current generations, but future ones as well.

“Youth and Government is a great place for broadening our understanding of the pros and cons of things happening in our country,” Merchant said. “We not only learn the good and bad things about topics but also how we can protect ourselves and improve society in the future.”

Now that the district conference is over, CHS YG is preparing for the state conference, which is March 2-5 at the Texas State Capitol. In meetings, delegates will practice speeches, continue their research, brush up on general knowledge, improve speaking skills and improve their bills based on feedback received or things they noticed from the district conference. 

During preparation for the state conference, delegates have the opportunity to apply to attend the Conference on National Affairs, which is a week-long conference where 25 delegates from each state are selected to meet at the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly in North Carolina to discuss and debate national topics. The event is highly selective but is a great opportunity for delegates to learn, research and debate topics of national interest. 

Follow Deepali Kanchanavally (@deepali0914) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.