C days aren’t that bad

Shreya Ravi, Staff Photographer

C Days have been hotly debated by many students, with many saying they don’t like the addition of them. However, The Sidekick staff photographer Shreya Ravi writes that C Days may actually be underrated because of the wide variety of things they offer students, from a more relaxing day to providing more review time. (Avani Munji)

With C days in full swing this year, there is a lot of debate as to whether or not they’re useful for both teachers and students. But, the shift has many people overreacting. 

Sure, it’s a change and nobody likes change, but is it really that bad?

C days started during the 2019-2020 school year with the intention of focusing on social and emotional learning. However, Coppell High School reverted back to an alternating A and B schedule during the Spring 2020 semester after reviewing feedback from students, teachers and families. 

The main reason C Days were eliminated was shuttle issues from New Tech High @ Coppell, CHS9 and CHS. Kids were missing larger amounts of class because of the scheduling of shuttles. This year, however, these issues are being corrected. For example, some single-block class students stay at their respective campuses and learn from that location. 

Based on my conversations, a minority of students at  CHS would say that they genuinely enjoy C days. The shorter class periods are a nice way to relax at the end of the week. So, students don’t feel stuck in a classroom for 90 minutes, impatiently waiting for the bell to ring.

Those short 45 minutes are useful for revisiting material students learned throughout the week. Students can utilize those 45 minutes to ask additional questions about a topic they may be struggling with. 

“I like the time I have to review all my content,” CHS senior Mithila Vijay said. “I [also] appreciate that I don’t have to do anything new because I feel like the time I have to synthesize the information really helps me.”

The list doesn’t end there. Because of the shorter class periods, teachers are not allowed to have tests on C days.

“I really like C days because we don’t have to do tests or anything,” CHS sophomore Aniruddha Kumar said. “I can end the week on a less stressful note rather than cramming for yet another exam.” 

C days are not just beneficial for students, but teachers can also gain from the increased student and teacher interaction that  C Days have to offer. 

“I love the opportunity that C Days allows me to see all my kids,” CHS AP Biology teacher Bianca Benitez said. “It allows me to touch base with my students and answer any questions that they might still have going into the week.  I can confirm that they solidified the content for that week and are ready to build upon it in the following week.”

Aside from those benefits of C days, being able to see all your friends the entire day is another perk. The opportunity to have fun with them during the class period and get to meet all of them before school lets out for the weekend is something that can be looked at in a positive light.

C days are not going away anytime soon, unlike what happened a couple of years ago. Rather than detesting them, let’s all adapt. Enjoy the positive things that come out of them, such as the review time and shorter classes. They really aren’t as bad as you may think, it just takes a little getting used to.

Follow Shreya Ravi (@shreya3220) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.