Homecoming parade returns home after three-year absence

Families get situated on the sidewalk of W. Parkway Boulevard as the Coppell Color Guard approaches during the 2022 Homecoming Parade on Wednesday. The Homecoming Parade returned to the streets of Coppell in 2022, after being disrupted by the COVID-19 Pandemic.

Shrayes Gunna

Colorful floats and costumes flooded Parkway Boulevard last night at the Homecoming Parade, as the spirit of celebration circulated among the citizens of Coppell. 

With the theme of “Where Dreams Come True: Coppell Homecoming 2022”, the long-awaited return of the parade after three years of discontinuation due to COVID-19, was a success. With hundreds of people lining the sidewalk interacting with floats passing through, citizens and parade participants became connected once more in this annual parade.

From the Coppell High School Color Guard leading the parade to the “Mama Mia” finale by CHS Theatre, the crowd and participants represented Coppell with smiles and pride. Diversity of activities, ages and personality that embodies Coppell was on display with chants, candy and cheering.

Coppell elementary students march during the 2022 Homecoming Parade on Wednesday. The Homecoming Parade returned to the streets of Coppell in 2022, after being disrupted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. (Shrayes Gunna)

Coppell Band set a spirited environment playing the fight song and marching passionately at the beginning of the parade. The choir highlighted its uniqueness with the varsity choir sitting on thrones and wearing medieval costumes. 

“Everyone coming together reminded me that every part of Coppell is trying their best and working towards making Coppell the place it is,” CHS junior drumline major Ananya Balaji said. “I was surprised at how many people were there to cheer us on and it reminded me how supportive the Coppell community is.”

CHS athletic teams marched with illustrated and interactive floats related to their sport. Starting with the football team, representatives and creative displays brought spirit to both athletics and citizens. With a confetti structure of people wrestling for the CHS wrestling team and volleyball players holding big inflatable balls, the crowd remained engaged and lively.

The Coppell tennis team rides along W. Parkway Boulevard during the 2022 Homecoming Parade on Wednesday. The Homecoming Parade returned to the streets of Coppell in 2022, after being disrupted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. (Shrayes Gunna)

“It made me feel incredibly connected to Coppell, especially since I do not live in the area,” girls wrestling coach Maxine Lisot said. “I enjoyed how energetic and involved the kids got. Our wrestlers had a blast. The music, the camaraderie, the celebration – seeing them express such enthusiasm gave me a sense of reward as a coach. Doesn’t matter what club or sport you’re involved in, the city got to see what the face of CHS looks like.”

The stars of the parade came with the Homecoming Court and nominees for Homecoming King and Queen waved their way through the parade. This is the first year that Coppell nominated teachers as part of the court, named count and countess Diane de Waal and Brandon McGrill were greeted by cheers as they marked the start of a new Coppell tradition. 

The cheers turned into “awws” as the students and representatives from the middle schools as well as Lee, Wilson, Lee, Lakeside, Pinkerton, Town Center and Mockingbird Elementary Schools all held their displays with mascots, costumes and school chants melting the crowd’s hearts. 

This year the annual parade has proven that every diverse individual plays a role in making Coppell the school district and the growing community it is. With the pleased faces and high spirits that the parade ended with this year, the years to follow are being looked forward to with high expectations.

Homecoming Queen and King nominees Breena Hira and Siddharth Sivakumar ride down W. Parkway Blvd. during the 2022 Homecoming Parade on Wednesday. The Homecoming Parade returned to the streets of Coppell in 2022, after being disrupted by the COVID-19 Pandemic. (Shrayes Gunna)

“It’s fun to get everybody together with a little school spirit and get to be with your groups and organizations and represent people in the whole city,” Coppell High School Principal Laura Springer said. “See, the camaraderie we have here with each of our groups and get to be a part of our fun homecoming week and share it with not just Coppell High School but with Coppell ISD.”