College Fair expected to bring nearly 200 representatives to campus

A+recruiter+from+Trinity+University+speaks+to+interested+families+during+the+2021+Coppell+High+School+College+Fair.+This+year%E2%80%99s+event+is+Thursday+from+6-8+p.m.+at+CHS.+

Sidekick file photo

A recruiter from Trinity University speaks to interested families during the 2021 Coppell High School College Fair. This year’s event is Thursday from 6-8 p.m. at CHS.

Yaamini Jois, CHS9 Editor

It is college season once again, and seniors aren’t the only ones thinking about where they will go after high school.

Coppell High School is hosting its annual College Fair on Thursday evening. The event will bring nearly 200 colleges and regional representatives from institutions all over the nation. Students can engage in conversations and ask one-on-one questions to representatives.

“We want students to ask questions that are more social-conscious, what you can’t get on the internet,” CHS lead counselor Ann Cinelli said. “What is life like at the school? Is there a social scene? What are the neighborhoods around the school like? Having somebody come here to answer questions and bring their colleges to life for you is super beneficial.”

Cinelli hopes students of all grades attend to explore various schools.

All high school students at Coppell ISD are invited to attend, including New Tech High @ Coppell and CHS9 students. Approximately 2,000 students have visited in previous years.

Students are encouraged to attend to broaden their list of colleges from local universities. Cinelli wants students, especially seniors, to consider more colleges that they had not previously heard of.

“University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Dallas and Texas A&M are here all the time,” Cinelli said. “They’re the predominant ones – the ones you know. There are 197 other schools that you might not know of. So often in Coppell, we think of the same three to four schools all the time.”

For students that cannot travel to colleges and take tours, the fair is one way to demonstrate interest. Students attending the fair and establishing relationships with the representatives of different schools often gives them an improved chance of getting accepted into the school when they apply. 

“A majority of colleges take their applicant list, then take their mailing list, and they play a matching game,” Cinelli said. “That person is going to read your application, because they are your regional representative.”

Follow Yaamini (@yjois12) and @CHSCampusNews.