Course Curiosity: Anatomy and Physiology Honors

Coppell+High+School+students+in+Anatomy+and+Physiology+teacher+Jodie+Deinhammer%E2%80%99s+seventh+period+class+complete+a+post-lab+assignment+on+Thursday.+Anatomy+and+Physiology+is+a+level+3+course+offered+at+CHS+educating+students+on+the+structures+and+functions+of+the+human+body.+

Sannidhi Arimanda

Coppell High School students in Anatomy and Physiology teacher Jodie Deinhammer’s seventh period class complete a post-lab assignment on Thursday. Anatomy and Physiology is a level 3 course offered at CHS educating students on the structures and functions of the human body.

Aliya Zakir, Convergence Editor

How rigorous is the course?
The course is challenging but not difficult. Honestly, any class is as challenging as students want it to be. 

What is physiology?

Anatomy is the study of the structures of the body whereas physiology is how [those structures] all work together. 

Are there any required prerequisite courses?

The prerequisites for the course are biology and a second science credit. 

What do students need to know before taking the course?

Before signing up for Anatomy and Physiology, students should take Medical Terminology. It’s very helpful although it is not required. Students should also know that the class dissects a lot, so they need to be okay with that. 

Are the assessments project-based or in test format?

Assessments in Anatomy and Physiology do not have a traditional testing method. There are no tests, we do a lot of quick formative assessments and bigger lab projects. 

What grades can take the course?

Typically, students who take Anatomy and Physiology are juniors and seniors. 

What do students enjoy most about the course?

Students enjoy the class because it’s very hands-on. We do lots of labs, creative assignments and dissections. 

Do the concepts get harder throughout the course?

The concepts do not get harder throughout the year. As in most sciences, new concepts build off of previous knowledge. 

Follow Aliya (@aliyafza) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.