Hill reelected to CISD board

Long-time trustee defeats CHS alumna McGuire for Place 3

Incumbent+Anthony+Hill+defeated+opponent+Carol+Lacey+McGuire+to+retain+his+position+in+Place+3+on+the+Coppell+ISD+Board+of+Trustees.+Hill+has+been+on+the+Board+of+Trustees+since+2007.+

Anjali Vishwanath

Incumbent Anthony Hill defeated opponent Carol Lacey McGuire to retain his position in Place 3 on the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees. Hill has been on the Board of Trustees since 2007.

Anjali Vishwanath, Daily News/Assignment Editor

The results from the May 7 school board elections are in, and Anthony Hill defeated Carol Lacey McGuire and will remain in Place 3 on the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees.

Hill, who has been on the board since 2007, won 64.62% of the vote.

How did you feel about the election before the results were announced?

I felt proud of my campaign team for doing an excellent job in supporting me throughout the election cycle. Additionally, I was very grateful for the various community members who showed confidence in me and saw that I was a viable candidate for re-election for another term on the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees in order to support students, educators and staff.

How are you feeling after knowing that you are keeping your spot on the Board of Trustees?

I look forward to my continued engagement withy all CISD stakeholders. I am excited to work with my peers on the board, as well as the CISD administrators, teachers and staff. Also, I will continue to serve on the boards and committees that I have already been a part of. It is very important to continue the work to advocate, support and promote the benefits and values of a strong public education system.

You are a long-serving member of the board. Why was remaining on the school board is important to you?

Remaining on the board provides me the opportunity to utilize my institutional knowledge gained in governance from a broad variety of decisions taken during my board tenure. As a trustee, I have been part of the decision-making process involving a variety of financial matters, growth in enrollment, establishment of New Tech High @ Coppell, IB program at Pinkerton Elementary and Coppell High School, new facilities, major school renovations and others activities. My involvement in these key activities will allow me to continue to collaborate with my fellow board members and the district leadership team to achieve the academic outcomes and strategic objectives. I will continue to be an advocate for education at the local and state level through collaboration and engagement with stakeholders.

Propositions one and two – both related to property taxes – passed with 87.2% and 85.38% of the vote, respectively.

Of the three board members up for re-election on Saturday – Leigh Walker (Place 1), Manish Sethi (Place 2) and Hill, Hill was the only one to run opposed. McGuire is a 2004 Coppell High School graduate and graduated from Texas A&M in 2008.

Follow Anjali (@anjuvishwanath) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.