Coach’s Box: Get to know Coach Hill

Olivia Cooper

Coppell track coach Eric Hill corrects Coppell junior relay runner Riggs Montgomery on his hand-off form on March 9 at Buddy Echols Field. Hill began coaching at Coppell High School in January. Photo by Olivia Cooper

Havish Premkumar, Staff Writer

Within the course of the 2021-2022 school year, Coppell High School experienced an influx of new teachers. One of these new teachers is track and field coach Eric Hill. The new coach shares what he believes to be his strengths and weaknesses, in tandem to his all-around stature as the new track coach of CHS.

What is your background in track and field?

I started coaching track and field many years ago. I became a head track coach in 2000 and was the head track coach in [Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD] for eight years and then did some other various jobs in the coaching field, but not as head coach. I just got my opportunity this year to coach again.

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

My strengths are definitely building relationships with my players. I have students that come back all the time and I could still go to dinner with students that I have coached in the past. One of my biggest weaknesses is that I like to carry too [much] of my bucket in everything.

What do you expect of your athletes?

I expect them to work hard, compete hard and give just as much effort in the class as they do on the track. I expect them to be great ambassadors for the CHS in the community and I expect them to do the best that they can at whatever they do.

How has the program changed since you took over?

When Coach Pointer left [for Converse ISD], I said to everyone that this program was running smoothly. When I took over now as a track coach myself, there were some things I wanted to add; I wanted to put my spin on things and I wanted to bring in my experiences, and toss that into the mix. And so we’ve changed a few things on the track, but as far as the program, not much.

What are your favorite events?

My favorite event is a 4×400 meter, because not only is it a gut wrenching race in that it requires and demands so much out of the runners. It’s exciting because when a meet is coming down to two teams and it’s going to be decided by that 4×400, there isn’t a better way to get the fans out of their seats, and what better way to get the teammates standing up and ruthing on their teammates, then to run that 4×4.

How do you want opposing programs to view Coppell track and field?

First of all, I want them to look at our kids and say that our kids are very well trained. I want them to look at our kids’ performances, and say “hey, those kids have been coached.” Those kids have been given the right tools. Secondly, I want them to look at our student athletes and say those guys must work a lot on teaching those kids how to behave and teaching those kids to do the right thing.

When you are not teaching or coaching, what are you most likely doing for enjoyment?

Probably golfing. I have two younger kids, so if I’m not out on the golf course or driving range, I’m running around with my kids. They’re involved in flag football, they’re involved in track and field and I really like going to their activities and watching them and just being a part of their lives.

Do you have any superstitions or rituals before a big meet?

One thing I am very superstitious about is not stepping on the line, and it’s weird and crazy. When I first go on the football field, the first line I come across, I jump over. And that’s just something that is weird and is quirky, but is just something I do.

How has working at Coppell been so far?

I love being here at Coppell, I love our community, I love our student athletes, I love the people I get to work with. I truly love this job and I tell people that if I were to win the lottery, the first thing that I would do is to get up to work and come the next morning. That’s how much I love my job and what I do. I have a passion for what I do, and I would probably do it until they kick me out.

Follow Havish (@ProgressSlick) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter