Coppell City Council Place 4 member Kevin Nevels was elected to council in May. Nevels uses his knowledge as a small business owner to advocate for the people of the city and the business community.

Ashley Qian

Kevin Nevels

Kevin Nevels has served as Place 4 for the Coppell City Council since May. Nevels moved to Coppell in 1997 and graduated from Coppell High School in 2001. 

What previous experiences helped you in the election?

I think my experience as a small business owner, owning Coppell Taekwondo Academy and my position within the Coppell Chamber of Commerce helped me achieve a spot and serve on council. My experiences with the city, having originally moved here in 1997, have also helped. I’ve seen Coppell change and grow quite a bit. Taking my own life experiences and melding it with what I hear and see in the community and trying to do my best is how I serve. 

What are your responsibilities on the council?

The biggest responsibility I have is to be an advocate for citizens and the business community and have an ear to the ground to listen to what people really need, want and don’t want. I mainly think listening and taking that information to heart [is my responsibility], but obviously you can’t make everyone happy. 

What are your legislative priorities for Coppell?

Taking care of our senior community is very important to me. In Coppell, the senior community is starting to grow a bit more, and a lot of the growth that happened to Coppell happened throughout the 1990s. A lot of those families that moved here then are in their 60s now and are starting to hit that senior age. For those citizens that want to age in place in their homes and want to be taken care of, we need to think about what needs to be put in place to take care of them and what senior amenities need to be provided. We already have a great senior center that offers amazing programs but we need to think about what we can do to bolster that. We also have an amazing board, the Future Oriented Approach to Residential Development board, that has been recently created. That board has been tasked with solving some challenging questions like what we do about senior housing in our community. 

One of the challenges that we are facing is comptroller’s rule 3.334 which changes how sales tax is collected and distributed through the city. Coppell filed a lawsuit against the comptroller so we are waiting for that to go to trial. Adjacently depending on how that goes, we are going to lose 20 or more million dollars in annual sales tax revenue. So adjusting to that loss is a big priority.

What would you like to achieve in your position?

When my run on council is done, I just want to be known as a council member that cared for this community, that always tried to listen to all citizens and tried to take in as much feedback as possible. I think our city is an amazing place and I want to maintain what has been built before but also move forward with the growth and the future of the city.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.