Coppell City Council Place 5 member John Jun was elected to council in December 2020. Jun uses his leadership position to help people voice and address their issues to better the city.

Ashley Qian

John Jun

John Jun currently serves as Place 5 on the Coppell City Council. He was elected in December 2020 and started serving January 2021. Jun has a past experience in volunteering and serving the City of Coppell and hopes to make a difference in the community.

What caused you to run for this position?

I’ve been involved as a volunteer with a number of organizations since 2004 and my passion has always been to try to make a difference. Being in this position is part of the process to make a big impact as a city council member. Even though I volunteer in Coppell, I thought I could do more by becoming a city council member and listening to the citizens and being their voice for concerns and issues.

Did you aim to be on the council when you were younger?

No, I actually never thought about volunteering in this sense, but I wish I had. Through my position I met a lot of younger people who were volunteering in their teens. I somewhat envy them because they are getting ahead by understanding the importance of serving others.I later realized that being able to serve and make a difference to others is what fulfills my life.

What are the responsibilities that come with your position as council member?

The number one responsibility is to review the budget proposed by staff and approve it on the basis of what the city needs. But I’ve always said that doing that is part of being a city council member, but it’s not the only responsibility of being a city council member. It is important for me to actually go out there, meet people and see what it is they are concerned about and try to address their issues. 

What do you want to achieve in your position?

Before I was elected, I always said the number one thing we have to look at is our current spending and be more efficient about it. When I say being more efficient I’m talking about trying to look at the budget and not spending everything we have. We need to be more effective by looking at the spending and seeing how we can save taxpayers’ money. 

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.