Orzolek’s first half strike lifts Cowgirls past Marcus

Coppell+freshman+defender+Tabitha+Sinen+defends+Marcus+freshman+midfielder+Maddie+Reynolds+player+during+the+second+half+against+Marcus+Flower+Mound+Marcus+on+Tuesday+at+Buddy+Echols+Field.+The+Cowgirls+defeated+the+Marauders%2C+1-0.+

Deepti Patil

Coppell freshman defender Tabitha Sinen defends Marcus freshman midfielder Maddie Reynolds player during the second half against Marcus Flower Mound Marcus on Tuesday at Buddy Echols Field. The Cowgirls defeated the Marauders, 1-0.

Maya Palavali, Staff Writer

After being on the losing end of a shutout in its last District 6-6A match, it was the Coppell girls soccer team turn to blank its opponent  by defeating Flower Mound Marcus, 1-0, on Tuesday at Buddy Echols Field. 

The majority of the first half was locked into a stalemate, breaking with eight minutes left with a goal by senior forward Reneta Vargas. With the renewal of energy, the team continued on into halftime with great defense.

Coppell goalkeeper Veronika Orzolek saved six shots from scoring which did more to fuel the fire of the team’s motivation.

“[Marcus] has not lost a game this season,” Coppell coach Fleur Benatar said. “It’s a huge win for us.”

Coming from a loss, the Cowgirls took its previous game experiences and came up the victor.

“We all came together and fought it out,” freshman defender Summer Chen said. “We are going to take this energy into the next game [to win].”

Follow Maya (@mvpalovalley) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.