Cowgirls pursuing record-breaking season in upcoming game against Marcus

Olivia Short

Coppell assistant Willis Tran talks to junior guards Saiya Patel and Alyssa Potter, sophomore guard Ella Spiller and senior forward India Howard during halftime at CHS Arena on Jan. 18. The Cowgirls host Flower Mound Marcus tonight at CHS Arena, with tipoff at 6:30 p.m. Photo by Olivia Short

Saniya Koppikar, Staff Writer

The Coppell girls basketball team is back in action tonight in District 6-6A play.

The Cowgirls (30-1, 8-1) host Flower Mound Marcus (7-17, 0-9) today in Coppell High School Arena, with tipoff at 6:30 p.m.

According to Coppell senior forward India Howard, the team has been working on handling pressure well and going back to the fundamentals when faced with tough situations. Tonight’s game is middle school night, where students from Coppell’s middle schools are specially invited to come watch the game. 

“I really hope we can inspire them to keep playing and come into this program,” Howard said. “We’re turning this program around and making it much better than it has been in the past.”

With a 30-1 record for the season, the Cowgirls are poised to break the record for the most wins in a season for the girls basketball team at CHS since the 1990s. 

“Our goals are to play patiently in the post and give [the game] our all,” Howard said. “We’re making history, and I’m personally very excited.”

In addition, the Cowgirls have been ranked as No. 4 in Class 6A Texas high school girls basketball by TABC Hoops as of yesterday.

Follow Saniya Koppikar (@SaniyaKoppikar) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.