Coppell safeties coach Karl Pointer coaches Coppell freshman safety Weston Polk on defensive scheme against Highland Park on Sept. 19 at Buddy Echols Field. Polk decided, at 10 years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity. (Nandini Paidesetty)
Coppell safeties coach Karl Pointer coaches Coppell freshman safety Weston Polk on defensive scheme against Highland Park on Sept. 19 at Buddy Echols Field. Polk decided, at 10 years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity.

Nandini Paidesetty

Like father like family: Polk last in line, finding his own way in undying tradition

Sitting in a Colorado duck blind in 2018 were three inseparable brothers, Coppell High School 2020 graduate Hudson Polk, Coppell senior Walker Polk and Coppell freshman Weston Polk – brothers tied under the Polk tradition and united under the spirit of competition. 

The Polk Family

The brothers’ bond is more than just fishing, hunting or riding mountain bikes together; it is supporting, competing and pushing each other to excel at what they do best: athletics. Ever since they were little, the brothers would go out with their father, CHS 1993 graduate Chad Polk, and spend a majority of their time competing with one another.

This competition grew the brothers closer together into a brotherhood. Mr. Polk, who played football for Coppell and had a stint in the minor leagues with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1998-2000, introduced the boys to baseball and football early on in their lives.

Coppell freshman safety Weston Polk holds up the gun for the Coppell alma mater after defeating Sachse on Aug. 27 at Homer B. Johnson Stadium. Polk decided, at ten years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity. (Meer Mahfuz)

Hudson decided to follow the path of his father, giving up football and now playing baseball at the University of Oklahoma. Walker followed suit, and committed to play baseball at Baylor. Weston, however, decided that he didn’t like baseball as much as he did football and forwent it entirely. 

“I was around 10 years old and I played fall [baseball] when I realized that I was always looking forward to football season and I always wanted to play football because it was what I really liked to do,” Weston said. “It felt like I was playing baseball to take up time so I just stopped playing it.”

The expectation in the Polk family was never that all the kids had to play baseball just because Mr. Polk played professionally. Weston remains unwavered in his decision to stick to football. 

“Each of the boys [are] so unique in their pursuits, whether it be on the field or off, and so it’s great for them to have the variation to what they want,” Mr. Polk said. “They don’t have to do what dad did, they just do what they want to do.”

Finding his own way

Nandini Paidesetty

Coppell freshman safety Weston Polk listens as Coppell coach Michael DeWitt addresses the team after a loss to Highland Park on Sept. 10 at Buddy Echols Field. Polk decided, at 10 years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity.

Finding his own way

Weston’s distinction from the rest of his family doesn’t stop at his choice to stick to football. Before starting kindergarten in 2010, Weston was a fanatic for animals and spent plenty of time with his mother, Jennifer, at the Fort Worth Zoo. 

Coppell coach Michael DeWitt addresses Coppell freshman safety Weston Polk after a loss to Prestonwood Christian Academy on Sept. 3 at Buddy Echols Field. Polk decided, at 10 years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity. (Meer Mahfuz)

“We would literally go at least three times a week,” Jennifer said. “Those zoo days were really fun and we were just looking to fill the days with adventure and something that he loved. Weston’s definitely been my sidekick from when he was born and we have a special bond because he is the youngest. Weston is just a ‘momma’s boy’; [the] two of us, we do everything together.”

Athletically speaking, Weston has been precocious throughout his athletic career. At Coppell Middle School East, Weston broke the triple jump record in his eighth grade year with a jump of 40’ 4 and ¼”. The same year, Weston was also on the 4×400 relay team that broke the school record with a time of 3:45.72. Weston’s work ethic coupled with his natural talent has allowed him to succeed as an integral member of Coppell’s defense. 

“Weston’s preparation is really good; preparation makes you available for certain situations to succeed and it helps calm you down because ‘hey, I feel prepared, I can go play on a Friday night,” Mr. Polk said. “My number one piece of advice [to Weston] would be to keep that momentum of preparation going because when you’re prepared, you’re less nervous and you’ll be more methodical and it translates into the event if it’s Friday night.”

The inspirations of Weston’s football life have been two-fold. Walker, who was an All-American linebacker his freshman year, proves to be a great mentor for Weston. Walker has been straight in his advice to Weston and has aided in his improvement by providing a secure play of criticism and confidence whenever Weston questions or second guesses himself. The other is CHS 2019 graduate Jonathan McGill, a former Coppell football standout. 

Coppell freshman free safety Weston Polk tackles Plano West senior wide receiver Resse Gunby at John Clark Stadium Oct.1 . Polk decided, at ten years old, that he would forgo baseball and has become a cornerstone in the Cowboys’ defense since promotion to varsity. (Angelina Liu)

The Polk family may be known for the hyper-productive athletes it has produced but, holistically, Mr. Polk wants his family legacy to be as great off the field as it is on. Athletics, for Mr. Polk, has been an intrinsic asset in the development of his and his sons’ lives but he believes the way you perform on Friday night doesn’t define who you are. Rather, the way you treat other people is the true definition of the Polk family legacy.

“I am very thankful that I am a Polk and that I am surrounded by competitors in my brothers and my dad,” Weston said. “I’m thankful to have parents who are supporting; they’re always cooking for me and bringing me to workouts. I’m very thankful that my parents are prioritising me and my sports and I have a whole family behind me that’s helping me out.”

Follow Meer (@mahfuz_meer) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.