Hussey honoring students’ stories as new assistant principal

New+Coppell+High+School+assistant+principal+Brian+Hussey+transferred+from+New+Tech+High+%40+Coppell%2C+where+he+taught+American+studies+and+AP+Seminar.+Prior+to+that%2C+he+worked+in+Philadelphia+at+the+National+Constitution+Center+and+the+Multicultural+Academy+Charter+School+and+Science+Leadership+Academy+at+Beeber.+

Angelina Liu

New Coppell High School assistant principal Brian Hussey transferred from New Tech High @ Coppell, where he taught American studies and AP Seminar. Prior to that, he worked in Philadelphia at the National Constitution Center and the Multicultural Academy Charter School and Science Leadership Academy at Beeber.

Manasa Mohan, Advertising and Circulation Manager

As all students returned to in-person school for the first time since March 2020, they found there were quite a few changes to the Coppell High School administration, including the addition of assistant principal Brian Hussey. 

Hussey previously taught American studies and AP seminar at New Tech High @ Coppell. Prior to moving to Texas in 2016, Hussey worked in the education department at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia before transitioning to teaching history. 

“I was completely taken aback by [the CHS administration] team,” Hussey said. “The way the group of administrators here are supportive of each other, care about the kids and talk about trying to make a better school – when I first heard that, I knew I wanted to be here. This [is] a place [where] I feel like I belong.”

Hussey transitions to CHS after spending five years working at New Tech as an AP U.S. history teacher. His experience at New Tech has provided the administration team with a unique insight into what CHS can do to improve the classrooms and students’ experience. 

“One of the things that attracted and wanted me to get him on [CHS] is that he is an amazing teacher,” CHS Principal Laura Springer said. “I want my [assistant principals] to not just be managers of people, but to be academically strong so we can support teachers in the classroom.”

Prior to moving to Texas, Hussey worked in Philadelphia for four years and worked at the National Constitution Center in the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology where he gave tours, lessons and displayed historical artifacts. Subsequently, Hussey worked at the Multicultural Academy Charter School and Science Leadership Academy at Beeber in Philadelphia where his passion for teaching history grew. 

“While teaching in Philadelphia, I worked with mainly minority students who were 100% living below the poverty line,” Hussey said. “There are a lot of needs that come up working with students in that environment which put me in a position to have to listen first [and] not go in thinking there’s one answer or one set way to do something. I’ve learned that I can’t tell the student’s story before they get a chance to tell me first.”  

While at New Tech for five years, Hussey taught American studies and AP U.S. history. While teaching American studies, an on-level class blending American history with English III, Hussey co-taught with New Tech English III and AP English Language teacher Sam Uglow.

“There are people you meet who just fit in certain jobs and their purpose is built for that work,” Uglow said. “Hussey had a really strong way of not only relating to the students but also relaying the information to people in a way that was accessible. Seeing him do that in his lectures or his assignments really left an impression on me.”

“I’ve learned that I can’t tell the student’s story before they get a chance to tell me first.”

— Assistant Principal Brian Hussey

As students transition back to in-person classes, Hussey is working to keep an eye out for those who are overwhelmed with the return to campus. Considering the
recent changes surrounding CHS and its approach to combating COVID-19, rather than looking at the student as part of a larger political story, Hussey wants to listen and honor each individual’s stories and needs. 

“It goes back to allowing students to tell me their story first,” Hussey said. “I’ve seen great administrators, I’ve seen administrators who always questioned some of their decisions and ones that acted very quickly because they assumed they knew the whole story of the student. I am going to make sure I allow students the chance to tell me their story first. Once we are all having that dialogue, we can start making decisions.”

Follow Manasa (@Manasa_Mohan_7) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.