‘Drew’ Life

By Julia Kim

An alarm sounds off at 7 a.m. A senior hurries out of bed. He packs his tennis racket and Red Jacket, books and bags. And after changing into his scrubs, he frantically rushes to the hospital to begin his school day, just another typical one following his hectic schedule.

Varsity tennis player, Red Jacket, Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) vice president, Junior Worlds Affair Council (JWAC) member. He’s strange. He’s outgoing. He’s smart—not to mention—well-rounded. He may have well knocked you over with a notebook in hand if you’ve ever met him in the halls. Or, you may have seen him as the emcee on Heritage Day. He’s senior Drew Hasson.

Following his regular scrambles in the morning, Hasson volunteers at Baylor Medical Center at Grapevine during his Health Science Technology II block. There, he engages in observing surgeries—his most memorable, an open heart one—and assisting patients, and at 9:30, he scurries back to school in a blue-grey Toyota Scion—you may better know it as the “box car.” Hasson is now out of his scrubs and in what he considers school clothes.

“When I’m in the car, my windows are all the way down all the time,” Hasson said. “I also crazy dance in the car. It’s embarrassing because I look around, and people are just staring. One time, I pulled up next to [Biology teacher Jennifer Martin]; I glance over, and there she is and all I can do is slightly wave.”

His rigorous midday classes are quite demanding: AP Statistics, AP Spanish Literature, AP Art History, and AP English IV.

By seventh period, Hasson is in a rush yet again, but this time, the destination: tennis center.

“I play mixed doubles because it’s twice the fun, but half the running,” Hasson said. “Tennis is like my home base because I have been on the team all four years.”

After changing into tennis attire, playing and sweating for an hour, the senior redresses to attend a HOSA club meeting.

“The events associated with HOSA are very demanding,” Hasson said. “There are a handful of things [including but not limited to] annual events, including the White Rock Marathon in December and Relay for Life in May, and competitions that require much attention. As an officer, I usually attend every expo as both a Red Jacket and HOSA member to promote both the club and the health program. The officer meetings every other Wednesday in addition to the HOSA meetings [once a month] requires dedication.”

The full circle is drawn when Drew returns home, prepares to watch MTV and complete a rather large pile of homework.

“I love watching “Next” and “Rock of Love” on VH1 is a classic,” Hasson said. “The homework comes after this small dose of TV. While I study, I always play music—there are even times when my parents catch me dancing. Procrastination isn’t the best way to do it; it never is. With me, I am very slow, a slow reader, a slow writer, slow at most tasks. Anyways, there is nothing weighing over you, if the homework is finished first. If it isn’t done, you’re half-guilty the entire time.”

Two hours later, Hasson is out the house in a red blazer and slacks. His assignment: to prepare an event hosted by the CHS Red Jackets.

The clock reads 11:30 p.m. By then, Hasson is sound asleep. Good night, world.

“I am immeasurably blessed to attend a school like CHS,” Hasson said. “You have to take advantage of these amazing opportunities that the school provides, and the idea that you only go through it once is a big motivator. It’s hard to balance fun and [school work], but you have to find the happy medium. In high school, you’re basically investing in your future.”

However, in just four months, Hasson will be required to adjust his traditional agenda when he attends the University of Pennsylvania in the fall. He plans to major in Biological Basis of Behavior, a neuroscience major that explores the relationship between behavior and its organic bases, or Visual Studies and minor in Urban Education, all of which reflect his interests and the classes he enrolled in during his high school career.

“It was either that [UPenn] or UT,” Hasson said. “But, there are so many opportunities at UPenn, and the diversity of the students and experiences available are amazing. When I found out that I was accepted, I was really shocked because I wasn’t really expecting it. There’s nothing really special about me which proves that normal kids can get into top tier schools. But, I’m horrified about going there grade-wise.”

Although Hasson will adapt to life as a college student at UPenn in a few weeks, give or take, CHS may not make the transition quite as easily because simply put, his incredible impact on CHS will be unforgettable.

“Drew’s energy is just contagious,” Pre-calculus teacher Paula Russell said. “He has an excitement about everything he’s in. Every day is a new day [with him] because he has so much he wants to share. Drew’s a loving, giving person that is a wonderful example of being involved.”

CHS Principal Brad Hunt also shares several unforgettable memories with Drew.

“He is such a positive impact on the school,” Hunt said. “His energetic personality, his sharp wit, and his craziness just make him a really special person. He is very academically motivated and just striving to be the best at [everything] he is involved in; he knows the importance of being well-rounded. Drew has a gift of service, not only to the school, but also to others.”