Unique year brings unique prom celebrations

Sidekick File Photo

Jade Walker is crowned CHS Prom Queen in 2019 at the AT&T Stadium. Current CHS seniors can attend a unique prom photoshoot on Saturday from 6 p.m to 9 p.m in the arena at CHS.

Angelina Liu, Staff Writer

As the school year comes to an end, seniors often look forward to traditions such as prom. Due to the risk of COVID-19, the typical packed dance cannot be executed for the class of 2021. However, Coppell High School has adapted prom to fit this unique year. 

On Saturday from 6 p.m to 9 p.m, CHS seniors are invited to attend the socially-distanced prom photoshoot in the arena at CHS. 

The CHS Student Council was not able to fundraise for prom as they normally do. Instead, they held a donation drive through SchoolPay, which began on Feb. 23 and is accepting donations until Saturday. 

“Students can expect to take their picture in a really nice setting,” CHS Student Council sponsor Jonathan Denton said. “There is also a dance area where they are welcome to hang out and enjoy that time together.” 

The idea is centered around a photo booth that still allows for distance and mask-wearing. Food and drink will not be provided. 

“[Prom] is a part of a senior’s graduation experience,” Denton said. “It would really be a missed opportunity to not give kids that chance of [prom].” 

Follow (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.