CHS theater to present ‘Once on This Island’

Cowboy+Theatre+Company+stage+manager+Lauren+Meyers+works+on+dimension+measurements+in+preparation+for+%E2%80%9COnce+on+this+Island%E2%80%9D+on+Tuesday+in+the+auditorium.+%E2%80%9COnce+on+this+Island%E2%80%9D+will+be+performed+by+Cowboy+Theater+Company+on+April+16%2C+April+17%2C+April+23+and+April+24+at+7%3A30+p.m.+and+April+18+and+April+25+at+2%3A30+p.m.+

Lilly Gorman

Cowboy Theatre Company stage manager Lauren Meyers works on dimension measurements in preparation for “Once on this Island” on Tuesday in the auditorium. “Once on this Island” will be performed by Cowboy Theater Company on April 16, April 17, April 23 and April 24 at 7:30 p.m. and April 18 and April 25 at 2:30 p.m.

Sapna Amin, Staff Writer

Coppell High School theater director Karen Ruth describes the upcoming musical, “Once on This Island,” as “magical, meaningful and thought provoking.” The musical, which the Cowboy Theatre Company will perform both in-person and virtually, is a Haitian interpretation and reimagination of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid.” 

The show is set in the French Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean Sea where a poor girl falls in love with a wealthy boy on the rich side of the island. They are divided by class and culture, but find their way back to each other with the help of Gods. 

The musical will be held in the CHS Auditorium Friday, Saturday, April 23 and April 24 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday and April 25 at 2:30 p.m. Virtual streaming will be available on April 23, April 24 and April 25. 

For COVID-19 safety, the auditorium will be only seated at 30% capacity. The audience members and cast are required to wear masks and social distance. If the audience would like to purchase concessions, they can do so before the production begins and pick up an assigned bag during intermission. During the 30 minute intermission, the auditorium will be aired out with several HEPA filters. Finally, dismissal at curtain close will be by row.

“[“Once on this Island”] talks about racial and social injustice in this mystical way,” Ruth said. “It really echoes what is happening in our world in our country right now. It’s interesting to draw parallels between this story and the real world, especially something that’s so current and relevant to us. It’s a problem and we need to address it and we need to look at it and so this musical does just that. It is not only a beautiful show that’s well acted and well sung, but it’s also socially and culturally extraordinarily relevant.”

The show is song and dance heavy and contains little scene work where the cast is talking. This show also deals with serious topics. The cast features primarily students of color. To purchase tickets click here.

Follow Sapna (@sapnaamin7) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.