Laps of love unifies staff in grief

Photo courtesy Irma Kennedy

Coppell High School KCBY-TV adviser Irma Kennedy honors her parents, Oscar and Irma Lazos, with nephew CHS AP Environmental Science teacher Maxx Lazos in the main hallway for the Laps of Love event. CHS faculty raised more than $2,500 for the North Texas Grief and Loss Center and documented 1,415,048 steps.

Angelina Liu, Staff Writer

From Feb. 8-13, Coppell High School staff members were encouraged to document their steps and donate money to the Grief and Loss Center of North Texas. Although the physical aspect of the walk was cancelled due to inclement weather, it brought the CHS family together nonetheless.

“Personally, I have experienced loss this year,” CHS associate principal Melissa Arnold said. “I lost my grandfather, and it’s nice for me to know that my school family recognizes that I struggled this year and they support me and want me to know that they are behind me and loving me through the tough time.”  

CHS was able to raise more than $2,500 at the event and document 1,415,048 steps during the week. CHS honors and advanced placement Spanish teacher Emilia Hamm walked 134,942 of those steps and won the $50 gift certificate. 

“We plan to have Laps of Love as a yearly tradition,” CHS instructional learning coach Derryl Lee said. “The organization that we donate the money to will change depending upon what is needed in our community.” 

The money raised has benefited many not only in the Coppell community, but in the Dallas community as well. It has provided weekly grief support to a dad and three young children who very unexpectedly lost their wife and mom two months ago, senior moms who have lost their adult children, family members who have experienced the loss of a loved one through homicide and grieving children and young adults. 

“Anytime that we have some sort of community service event where not only can the staff members come together but students and families, it makes school a different experience for everybody,” Lee said. “It makes the world seem like a much [more] caring place to live in.” 

Follow Angelina (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.