Laps of Love event honoring losses through charity walk

Angelina Liu

Laps of Love is a charity walk taking place on Saturday inside the Coppell High School building to show support for grieving staff. Donations can be made in lump sum or based on how many laps individuals walk and will go to the Grief and Loss Center of North Texas.

Angelina Liu, Staff Writer

Update: The Laps of Love event has been canceled due to inclement weather. Individuals can still donate to the Grief & Loss Center of North Texas and log their daily steps. The staff member who logs the most steps by noon tomorrow will receive a $50 gift card.

Students, teachers, and Coppell ISD staff and families can support the Coppell High School family by collecting donations for  Laps of LoveIt will be supporting the Grief & Loss Center of North Texas and taking place on Saturday from 8 a.m to noon inside the CHS building. Laps of Love is an opportunity to recognize and honor faculty members who have lost somebody.

Due to  COVID-19, only CHS faculty are invited to physically walk but all are encouraged to fill out the interest form and donate.  This is the campus’s first year to host this event. 

“When walking, it is really a time for people to reflect about their lives and their losses and to show others that we are honoring them and their memory,” CHS instructional coach Derryl Lee said. “Faculty members have sent pictures of loved ones and we will honor them by dedicating the lap to them.” 

Laps of Love participants can donate a lump sum to the Grief & Loss Center of North Texas or pledge a certain amount for each lap walked.  Many of CHS’s faculty have experienced severe grief and are participating in the walk in memory of a loved one. 

If you are unable to come to the high school, it is encouraged to walk around your neighborhood and be intentional about remembering people that have died or supporting those who may be grieving while also raising money for a charity that will assist others. Although donations are appreciated, the ultimate goal of Laps of Love is to show support for faculty in mourning. 

Follow Angelina (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.