Cowgirls look to bounce back against Richland

Sidekick file photo

Coppell sophomore forward Reagan Engler looks to pass in the CHS Arena on Jan. 21 against MacArthur. Coppell plays Richland tomorrow night at 6:30 p.m. at the CHS Arena.

Anjali Krishna, Co-Sports Editor

An eventful week directly preceded the Cowgirls’ two-week quarantine. While Coppell High School emptied for Thanksgiving Break, girls basketball played four games in seven days. 

Coppell plays Richland on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the CHS Arena and hopes to come back from Saturday’s 70-59 loss against Winnsboro. 

“We’re going to have to play our best defense,” Coppell senior guard Emma Sherrer said. “The defense is what we focus on, it drives our offense and allows us to keep up the momentum.”

Another tough loss last week, against Duncanville, taught Coppell hard lessons as well.

“Our weakness is getting down ourselves, whenever we mess up on something, we get caught up in it instead of growing from it,” Sherrer said. “And when we play easier teams, we can’t play down to those teams’ levels. We have to think of a team as if they’re one of the better teams.” 

Though still returning to its pre-quarantine rhythm, Coppell heads into its next game with confidence and something to earn: its spot in the playoffs.

“We didn’t make playoffs last year and coming out with a chip on our shoulder because our district got a lot harder from last year,” Sherrer said. “We’re ready to show that we’re not going to be an easy win for anyone and we’re going to give everyone a run for their money.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.