Coppell take final home match over Lewisville on Senior Night

Photo courtesy Jim O’Neill.

Cowgirl volleyball swept Lewisville on Tuesday night at its final home match of the season. Celebrating its Senior Night, the Cowgirls also honored its seniors.

Anjali Krishna, Co-Sports Editor

As the Cowgirls warmed up to begin their match against Lewisville on Tuesday night, volleyball was not the only thing on their mind. An emotional night for the Cowgirls, Coppell swept Lewisville 25-10, 25-15, 25-18 for its seniors final home game on Senior Night.

“Senior Night was amazing and so much fun and long awaited,” Coppell senior middle hitter Madison Gilliland said. “It was crazy because it feels like yesterday I was saying goodbye to seniors as a freshman.”

Having swept Lewisville the previous week, Coppell expected no surprises.

“It was a game where we could focus on our skills and our side of the court and work on things we were struggling with during practice, a self-focused game,” Gilliland said.

Still, the match was messier than what Coppell is used to, coming off playing higher ranked teams making for a challenging transition.

“We didn’t play as well as we should have,” Coppell senior setter Mari Taira said. “Our connections were off and we were messy in our defense and offense but we just had a lot of fun because of all the festivities.”

But more prominently, Coppell looks forward to its second matchup against Plano West, following their five-setter last week. Many of the Cowgirls’ matches against the top three teams in the district ended in losses after five sets.

“[That match] gave us hope that we’re at the same level as them so if we limit our errors, a few silly errors were what made us lose last time, we’re definitely up to par with them,” Taira said. “We’ve had so many close five-setters with the first three teams in our district so we’re really close in skill level. We’re looking forward to going out on the court on Friday and beating [Plano West], showing up and proving that we should’ve beaten them last Friday.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.