A wave of graduation parties hits the class of 2010

By Henna Khan
    Staff Writer/ Photographer
    Video by Peyton Wood

As the senior class of 2010 begins preparing to walk the stage on June 7 at their high school graduation, several individuals are hosting graduation parties to commemorate their memories and accomplishments over the last four years.

Party barges, dessert parties, Tiffany’s breakfasts and the traditional dinners are amongst all the various types of parties that seniors this year have been attending. The wave of celebrations was felt significantly strong considering seniors are having to attend up to 10 parties every weekend. Despite the exhaustion from the festivities though, these graduation parties symbolize the end of one chapter and the beginning of another for all seniors.

Seniors Caroline Cauley and Faye Womack were the honorary guests at a Tiffany’s themed breakfast that was held on May 1. Both of their moms, along with several other Coppell moms hosted the party from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Vivian Margiotta’s house.

“It was a lot of fun. Everyone wore cute black dresses with pearls to replicate a very Audrey Hepburn kind of style,” Cauley said. “The party was planned much like the 1960s movie ‘Breakfast at Tiffany’s. There were champagne glasses, blue Tiffany’s boxes and little edible treats everywhere for us.”

While Cauley and Womack enjoyed their themed party together, they look forward to having their own individual graduation party with family and relatives they have not seen in a long time.

Amongst the themed graduation parties hosted this year the senior cheerleaders’ party at Austin Ranch in Grapevine was a memorable experience according to Cauley.

“The theme was very western. Al l the guests were able to play sand volleyball or ping pong, get their fortunes read to them by a professional fortune teller and have butt sketches done,” senior Kelly Winkle said. “Even though it was organized by our moms I felt like a host because all the attention was on us. After that night, graduation became a reality, and I definitely took the party a sentimental moment.”

Senior Shaelyn Macedonio took a different approach by hosting her party with her future college roommate on a boat that set out on Lake Grapevine.

“Due to the really good weather that day, the party was that much more successful and relaxing because everyone was able to get in the water and have a good time,” Macedonio said. “All the decorations were A&M themed since that is where my roommate and I will be going to college in the fall.”   

When asked if there was anything she could change about her party Macedonio said she would prefer something on land because one of her closest friends got sick on the boat and had to leave the party. However, aside from this one mishap, Macedonio was glad that her party was not the traditional stereotype.

Aside from the theme however, food, just like any other occasion, plays a crucial party in these graduation parties. While Cauley and Winkle had food that was based on their theme, senior Caity Randall hosted a dessert party where the food was the theme.

“I enjoyed all the finger foods at first, but eventually everyone got tired of eating sweets,” Randall said. “It was a generally cute idea with cookies, candy, cakes and Sprinkles cupcakes, but if I had to do it again I would definitely advice my parents not to buy as much food.”

Although the parties have been fun and will not be over until college begins, the seniors are drained from having to buy gifts for all the graduates and manage multiple parties in one weekend.

“The first weekend was fun but after that every party felt the same except for the food. I found myself coming home earlier and earlier each time,” Randall said.

Regardless of the exhaustion that seniors are encountering with these graduation parties, they are more than energized to receive their diploma in 2 weeks.

“Graduating and starting a new life truly is surreal. It’s time to get out of this little town and see what’s out there. I am really appreciative of Coppell High School because if I had to be somewhere for 4 years, this is where I would want to be,” Macedonio said.