• Dr. Nicole Jund has been named Coppell High School's new principal.

• Jill Popelka has formally resigned from her Place 2 seat on the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees

• Coppell Student Media will resume regular content at the start of the 2017-2018 school year. Have a great summer, CHS!

The Chainsmokers new album “Memories… Do Not Open” creates mixed feelings

The Chainsmokers released a new album on April 7, Memories… Do Not Open. Being its first album, the band takes a different approach to some of the music which provides a mixture of feelings.

Austin Banzon

Austin Banzon

Fiona Koshy, Staff Writer

After creating countless remixes and singles, The Chainsmokers officially released its first album, Memories… Do Not Open, on April 7.

With its indie pop rhythm and multiple features by familiar artists, this album does not fully meet my expectations, with many repetitive songs that are similar to some of the band’s previous works.

Ranging across a wide variety of styles, The Chainsmokers is known for its many singles that bring a fun and upbeat, yet cool and relaxed vibe to listeners worldwide.

Unlike its traditional content, The Chainsmokers new album was created with the intent that the band further connects with its audience, providing listeners with more details into the duo’s lives on a personal level.

Having fulfilled this goal, the album slacks in other areas.

The songs “The One,” “Something Just Like This” featuring Coldplay and “Paris” were released early to give its listeners a preview into what was to come. These singles amplify the band’s voice, leaving listeners with heightened expectations.

“It Won’t Kill Ya” begins with a unique sound from featured artist Louane, but as the song progresses it becomes even more plain with a chorus that does not match the feel that the rest of the song provides.

Similarly, “Break Up Every Night” details the struggles the band has faced in relationships, but it seems more like a pop song with a cliche chorus providing a strong a contrast from its lyrics.

Despite these disappointments, there are a few songs that are more representative of The Chainsmokers while still bringing something new and exciting to the table.

With its slower tempo and heartfelt lyrics, “Bloodstream” is a deeper song that narrates the what it is like to feel “out of touch” and the many “complicated” effects that ensue. While it was more personal, the song’s semi upbeat rhythm was a pleasant surprise, giving listeners a song they could enjoy nevertheless.

Featuring Jhené Aiko, “Wake Up Alone” touches on the insecurities faced in some relationships, detailing the feelings that arise when a spouse is unsure of where they stand in a relationship. With its repetitive nature and Aiko’s vocals, it is the perfect song to sing and dance to.

While this album does not taint my view of The Chainsmokers, I leave it feeling disappointed, as I feel it could have been stronger. I would recommend listening through to find the more enjoyable songs, but this album is not one of my favorites.

Follow Fiona on Twitter @fionakoshy10