• Check out our Entertainment section for the "Best of Coppell" that you voted for!

• CHS alum Solomon Thomas drafted third last night by the San Fransisco 49ers.

• Principal Mike Jasso will leave CISD at the end of the 2016-17 school year. Follow @CHSCampusNews and check CSM for updates.

Outpouring of runs gives Coppell convincing win over W.T White

Coppell+junior+infielder+Logan+Kegley+bats+in+the+third+inning.The+Cowgirls+%283-0%29+defeated+W.T+White+Lady+Longhorns+%282-1%29%2C+17-0%2C+in+three+innings+due+to+the+mercy+rule+on+Friday+night+at+the+CISD+Baseball-Softball+Complex.+
Coppell junior infielder Logan Kegley bats in the third inning.The Cowgirls (3-0) defeated W.T White Lady Longhorns (2-1), 17-0, in three innings due to the mercy rule on Friday night at the CISD Baseball-Softball Complex.

Kathryn Rudd

Kathryn Rudd

Kathryn Rudd, Entertainment Editor

Between Coppell senior infielder Madi Traver’s and senior outfielder Mia Hermans’ pair of two-run doubles in the second inning, the Coppell softball team proved it was on its way to a lopsided victory.

And as the game wore on, the Cowgirls continued to put runs on the board, until Friday night’s game at the CISD Baseball-Softball Complex was called, 17-0, after just five outs.

Despite CHS sophomore pitcher Nora Rodriguez’ two strikeouts, a scoreless first inning was in the back of everyone’s’ minds. Yet the Cowgirls momentum picked up in the bottom of the second, as the offense went off for seven runs. Hermans was a spark for Coppell (3-0 District 9-6A, 10-4 overall), going 4-4 with two doubles, a triple and a single that the W.T White Lady Longhorns (3-6 overall, 2-2) just couldn’t keep up with.

More standouts,including senior utility infielder Sami Thomas with a two-run triple and Traver with a rocket that sent the ball over the fence, just characterized the team’s effort.

“We never go into a game expecting this,” Coppell coach Mike Dyson said. “We’ve been practicing really hard and working on our hitting so these girls just came out and had a good night, not much more to it.”

An error by W.T White sent freshman outfielder Rylee Anderson home to bring the score to 7-0. Followed by another triple by Hermans, which sent senior outfielder Alex Denton home with still only one out in the third, showed the Cowgirls weren’t even close to being finished

“We have great chemistry so once we started bringing in runs we just kept encouraging each other,” Hermans said. “Our quick plays on defense really helped us secure our position in batting so we were able to just keep going.”

Quick transitions and solid pitching by Rodriguez in the top of the third allowed the Cowgirls to get back into the batter’s box and finish the game strong.

“We’ll just keep working,” Dyson said. “This is a great win but I know the girls only want to get better from here.”