• George Coffee + Provisions set to open this spring in Old Town Coppell.

• 2017-18 Teen Leadership Coppell applications now available at www.teenleadershipcoppell.com.

• Coppell boys and girls soccer teams take on Lakeview Centennial in bi-district playoffs on Friday at Highland Park

Spring Showcase draws parents, future students to classrooms after hours

Freshman students Cierra Hargraves, Kalena Jones, and Shravani Dangety in Coppell High School Algebra I teacher Marie Flynn’s classroom show parents a practice activity they performed in class during the 2017 CHS Spring Showcase. The student-led parent night from 5-6:30 p.m. offered an inside look at many CHS classrooms.

Meara Isenberg, Editor-in-Chief

On a normal day at 5 p.m., the halls of Coppell High School are empty, save a few teachers or administrators staying after hours. However, on Monday evening, student representatives greeted inquisitive parents for the annual Spring Showcase.

The showcase offered a unique way for parents and future students to learn about various courses and see their work on display. Being primarily student led, parents could visit classes from ESL to Algebra and hear from their perspectives.

“That’s how we designed the open house for the spring – to let it be student led, to let them talk about their experiences in the classroom,” CHS lead assistant principal Sean Bagley said. “Just so whoever gets the opportunity to show up can see from a student’s perspective how things are going, what they’ve been doing, and just to give them their opinions and their overall thoughts about the experience.”

Unlike the fall curriculum night, parents did not need to follow a schedule and could visit classrooms for as long as they needed.

“I already have [visited classes],” freshman parent Arun Patel said. “It was very nice, [I saw] how they learn in the class, how they use the technology.”

The showcase lasted until 6:30 p.m., and was beneficial not only to those who visited but also to the students who answered questions.

“[The students] are being able to take ownership and pride in their own learning and show and demonstrate that topic to other parents and students,” CHS Algebra I and AP Statistics teacher Marie Flynn said.