Editorial: Staff encourages reciprocating thankfulness through giving

Political+Cartoon+by+Jena+Seidemann.+
Political Cartoon by Jena Seidemann.

Political Cartoon by Jena Seidemann.

Political Cartoon by Jena Seidemann.

Video by Taylor Bryson.

http://vimeo.com/116798386

Though the turkeys may no longer gobble gobble on the fourth Thursday of November, millions of families will be celebrating the largest feast of the year. Family, friends and fortuity is what the holiday is centered around.

However, in a time full of thankfulness, there is also an abundance of need in our country and our local communities.

According to Feeding America, Texas is above the national household food insecurity rate (14.6 percent) with an 18 percent household food insecurity amongst the population. With roughly 26.5 million residents in Texas, it is an enormous amount of people who do not have something so basic.

Even though our community is affluent, there is hunger very near. However, Coppell should not feel guilty for being so fortunate. Instead, we need to pass on the gift by being generous to others, and what an incredible opportunity and realization it is that we can make such an impactful difference in a person’s life.

Political Cartoon by Jena Seidemann.

Political Cartoon by Jena Seidemann.

Money may be tight for others, but we encourage each individual to examine their life and see what luxuries they have. For example, you may purchase a Starbucks drink daily, which could range from $3 to $7. Give that up for a few days and you would be able to afford a turkey. Small sacrifices can develop into greater outcomes.

For seniors applying to college, if you are not seriously considering attending the school you have applied to or the tuition is so outrageous to the point you cannot afford it should you be admitted, save the $100 from the application process and use it for those that cannot afford to eat.

While we understand life is busy, forgetting also shows a lack of care. It may take an extra reminder on your phone or note on the refrigerator to donate and give back during the holiday season, but it will be worth it. The earth will not suddenly become a fairytale land of goodness, but it will make someone’s world better, even if it is for a day.

We also do not believe in the excuse of “having no time” as a legitimate reason for not being involved because Coppell ISD offers the opportunity to donate turkeys online. In just a few clicks you can buy a turkey; it is as convenient as it gets.

Truly, donating, in any shape, form or amount, is significant. The Sidekick staff encourages faculty and students to bring a frozen turkey to contribute to the 14th annual Kids for Turkeys drive on Nov. 21.

For those that cannot afford to give a turkey, donating canned food to local food banks is just as admirable. Many canned foods are $1 per can. There is also the opportunity to volunteer at a soup kitchen or food bank.

Also, many organizations compile a Thanksgiving dinner basket with all of the necessities for the feast: the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and other tasty traditional dishes. In reality, it only takes $10 to $20 to buy a turkey or a few dollars for other food items to positively impact someone’s life, and that is priceless.

On the topic of giving, Keith Health said it best, “Wherever there is a human in need, there is an opportunity for kindness and to make a difference.” We can be that difference.

With those wise words in mind, The Sidekick staff hopes readers will enter the holiday season full of the spirit of giving. To the right is a list of places that readers can donate  cash, canned goods and other items for those in need.

Places to donate include but are not limited to: