Coppell Volleyball falls to Hebron in first district match

By Jena Seidemann

Coppell Volleyball hosted Hebron for it’s first district match on Friday Sept 21. The Cowgirls lost in four sets to the Hawks.

The first set went to Coppell (25-16). Senior right side hitter Erica Bohannon, Senior Middle Blocker Chiaka Ogbogu and Sophomore Outside Hitter Cathryn Cheek led the team in kills. The Cowgirls had great defense from Sophomore Natalie Gilbert and Junior libero Alex Silver.

Hebron came back to win the second, third and fourth sets (21-25; 22-25; 21-25). It’s serves grew more aggressive as the match progressed. Hebron’s fan base also grew louder as the Hawks won set after set.

The last three sets consisted of competitive and close volleyball with the score going back and forth, point by point. Coppell was able to make significant comebacks in the match. Down 1-5 in the second set, they were able to get within two points of the opponent before Hebron took the lead and won the set.

Hebron found the open spaces on the Cowgirl’s court and attacked it. It’s defense was able to get any hit or tip Coppell threw at it.

Blocking was a crucial part of Coppell’s defense. Missed serves and small errors attributed to the Cowgirl’s loss.

Ogbogu’s serve was consistent and assisted with giving the Cowgirl’s the comebacks. Silver, Gilbert, Cassidy Pickrell and the rest of the Cowgirls made great digs and defensive plays. However, it was not enough to defeat the Hawks.

The loss made Coppell’s record become 34-4 and 0-1 in district play. The Cowgirl’s hope to win against Flower Mound this upcoming Tuesday. The team is striving to get better and learn from these matches.

“[We can] not get distracted by other things, get frustrated with teammates and [we need] to play as a team,” Cheek said.