Rachel’s Challenge to challenge CHS on Oct. 1

By: Loren Hughes

On Oct. 1, an inspirational program called Rachel’s Challenge is coming to Coppell High School.

The meaning behind Rachel’s Challenge originated when student Rachel Scott, 17, was murdered during the shootings at Columbine High School on April 20, 1999. Rachel’s Challenge was founded by her father, Darrell Scott, who immediately began speaking about school violence only weeks after his daughter’s death. It is said that the program has prevented suicides, bullying and up to at least three planned school shootings.

“Other schools in the Metroplex started Rachel’s Challenge and reported student change,” associate principal Leanne Dorhout said. “Students who attended the presentation before enjoyed the idea because they liked doing a simple act of kindness to include everyone.”

Rachel’s Challenge is an audio and video presentation aimed at encouraging students to befriend others and become more involved in their school. After the presentation, a session for adults and students called Friends of Rachel’s will be presented to explain how to spread the message.

“I’ve only gotten to see previews and demos thus far, but what I have seen is amazing,” senior Kim Dalrymple said. “I was shocked at how one girl’s dream can inspire a school the size of ours.”rc_magazinecover

After the meeting, students will be asked if they would like to take Rachel’s Challenge. Those planning to commit will sign a banner which will be left hanging in the school to show they have accepted.

After the day of the presentation, a club called Friends of Rachel will be created, in order to allow students to continue to put themselves in situations to pass on Rachel’s message.

Melanie Hensleigh Parsons, the Friends of Rachel sponsor at Garland High School, has been a sponsor of the club since it was first presented to the school in 2007. Since Garland has a very early school day starting at 7:30 a.m., Friends of Rachel’s participants arrive as early as 6:45 a.m. once a week in order to carry on Rachel’s chain reaction. 

“I would say that there have been no massive changes so far but in small ways many have changed,” Parsons said. “It’s something we’ve kept going, a chain of kindness to carry on.”

In addition, on the night of Thursday, Oct. 1 at 7 p.m. in the lecture hall, another presentation will be available for parents or anyone else who like to attend.

To learn more about Rachel’s Challenge visit www.rachelschallenge.org.

14