Photo courtesy Ryan Tompkins

Coppell junior pitcher/first baseman Ryan Tompkins plays third base during a scrimmage at Highland Park on Feb. 18. Tompkins is working out this week by using the batting cage and running through the park due to the UIL suspending all school practices outside of school hours, including the use of school facilities.

Ryan Tompkins

Coppell junior pitcher/first baseman Ryan Tompkins of the baseball team has yet to begin his District 6-6A season. The UIL suspension was enacted right before the team’s last preseason tournament.

“I’m going out every day and just throwing and hitting, running and normal workouts. I just have to do it by myself which is a little weird. Right now, I’m just using the park, Moore Road. They have one batting cage that I’m using. Me and a friend will go down there and hit and throw some. Then we’ve got the park to run around.

It definitely deflates everybody a little bit. We can’t practice together, we’re all doing everything on our own right now. You don’t know if someone else isn’t doing what they’re supposed to do on their own.”