Mari Pletta

Coppell senior defender Nathan Hernandez delivers a pass against Lewisville on Jan 31 at Buddy Echols Field. Hernandez has been working out this week by practicing soccer with one or two friends due to the UIL suspending all school practices outside of school hours, including the use of school facilities

Nathan Hernandez

Coppell senior defender Nathan Hernandez and the boys soccer team were riding the momentum of six consecutive District 6-6A victories, including a win over No. 1 state-ranked team Marcus. With one match remaining as well before playoffs, the Cowboys have to work on their skills without team practice for the time being. 

“When the gyms weren’t closed, I was going to the gyms. A lot of them started closing so I started looking up workouts to do at my house and stuff. Basically, any chance I can get to hang out with one or two friends, because you want to stay away from a lot of other people, to go play soccer still on whatever open fields we can get into. It’s going to have a lot of people thinking the season is over and taking them out of that mindset to where we don’t have to work anymore. We normally have practices five days a week so a lot of people can get lazy and think their season may or may not end. It affects all the schools, so it evens out if a lot of us are able to do it on our own time. 

Soccer doesn’t really require the most equipment. A lot of countries that don’t have a lot of money, their kids will be able to play soccer. You don’t necessarily need a lot of things, all you need is a soccer ball at your feet. You can go work in very tight spaces, you can go work in your backyard, you can go kick the ball off your wall if you don’t have anyone to pass the ball to.”