Benefits, negative aspects of native speakers in Spanish classes

Being a native speaker in a LOTE classroom lends to a variety of experiences - some good and some bad. Nevertheless, benefits are presented to all in the class.

Kelly Wei

Kelly Wei

Kelly Wei

Sofia Guerrero, Staff Writer

Learning a foreign language in high school is not only a requirement,  but can also be a rewarding experience because it allows the students to learn a new language. Some Coppell High School students have the benefit of being fluent in their language class.

“You still have to do your work,” sophomore Spanish III student Gisela Najera said. “A bunch of people will always ask you for help and they expect you to know what’s going on.”

According to Najera, the students in her class only really talk to her because of her knowledge of the language.

“They’ll ask me questions all the time,” Najera said. “For teams, I’ll get picked just because I’m Hispanic and they’re trying to win. They don’t talk to me for me, they talk to me because I’m Hispanic and they’re in Spanish class.”

CHS Spanish teacher Trent Pickrell sees the advantages of having native Spanish speakers in his classes.

“My experience having native speakers in my class has been positive, just because, for the most part, they help the other students,” Pickrell said.

On the other hand, Pickrell does not like it when the students use native speakers just for answers and sentence translations every day.

“It’s nice for me as well because if I have doubts, I can check them,” Pickrell said. “They kind of serve as a dictionary for some students, which isn’t necessarily a good thing.”

CHS freshman Spanish I student Josie Gonzalez believes that class is easy for her because she already knows the content. Since that is the case, Gonzalez is well known in the classroom and helps her fellow classmates.

“Every single time people ask me for help, I’m running around the classroom,” Gonzalez said. “I barely get my things done.”

Most Hispanics are used to more informal Spanish, which is why some take Spanish.

Another reason why students join is to gain more knowledge of the language.

“Since I already know Spanish, I might as well take a Spanish class and learn more,” junior Spanish III student Alyssa Tapia said. “I learned about conjugations and how to conjugate words.”

Native speakers have several chances to help the students with word meanings and phrase or sentence translations.

Overall, native speakers like being in a class where they can work easily and help other students.

“Being in the class is not bad at all,” Najera said. “It’s pretty easy as long as you do your work.”

Follow Sofía on Twitter at @sofia_i_g

Sofia Guerrero, Co-Student Life Editor

Sofia Guerrero is a senior third-year staffer and the Co-Student Life editor for The Sidekick newspaper. She is an aspiring journalist and pianist and...

Kelly Wei, Editor-in-Chief

Kelly Wei is a senior staffer, serving her third year as Editor-in-Chief. In her free time, you can probably find her hiding out in a boba cafe with her...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Benefits, negative aspects of native speakers in Spanish classes”

1. Amelia Vanyo on April 20th, 2017 9:51 am

Sophia this story is really cool, and Kelly’s graphic is amazing!!

2. Sofia Guerrero on April 24th, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you so much!

3. Riley on April 20th, 2017 10:26 am

Love the graphic, very unique!!!!

4. Sofia Guerrero on April 24th, 2017 9:20 pm

Yeah, it’s amazing!

5. Rachel Choi on April 21st, 2017 1:35 pm

This is such an eye-opening article!

6. Sofia Guerrero on April 24th, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks Rachel! 🙂

7. Tanya Raghu on April 23rd, 2017 10:09 pm

Sophia, this is a unique experience that not many people have, I enjoyed reading this! Nice job 🙂

8. Sofia Guerrero on April 24th, 2017 9:20 pm

Thank you!