Block schedule pilot wraps up on cold winter day (part 3 of 3)

January 7, 2017

Coppell High School finished it’s last day on the block schedule pilot with a positive outlook for the next year. Not only were students, teachers and administration encouraged by the schedule’s overall success, but parents expressed appreciation of the schedule as well.

“I actually talked to a couple of parents about it and their own children had come home and told them they liked the idea of the block schedule and they enjoyed the feel of that kind of instructional setting,” Superintendent Dr. Mike Waldrip said.

The day began with a warm announcement from Principal Mike Jasso, who thanked everyone for their effort working through problems and staying optimistic throughout the three days.

“Sometimes we get some obstacles but that’s part of why we go through this process now,” Jasso said.

Students and teachers had a positive mindset going into the last day, and left the building in anticipation of the continuation of the schedule next year.

Coppell High School sophomores Alarika Voora, Mahima Vermuri and Rithika Vijayaragavan gather in Chemistry teacher Chris Stricker’s classroom for their added eighth period this afternoon on the B Day of the test run of the block schedule. In this temporary eighth period, added due to the block schedule, freshmen and sophomores learned about coding and gained inspiration for future careers. Photo by Hannah Tucker.

“Its definitely a lot different than our schedule now but I think after adjusting people will like it,” junior Cristina Gonzales said. “It’s less stressful and I like that we only go to some of our class instead of all of them everyday.”

Spanish teacher Derryl Lee began his AP Spanish IV class by asking students to name one thing they liked and one thing they disliked about the block schedule. While answers varied, overall the class appeared pleased with how the schedule pilot had played out.

“I think they felt more comfortable during the 90 minutes [and] felt like they could really dive into the theme and then ask questions about it,” Lee said.

The block schedule pilot gave administration a glimpse into the future of CHS and encouraged teachers, students and administration that the changes to come would be for the better.
“I get the sense that a lot of people are encouraged by the ability to do things well,” assistant principal Jeremy Varnell said. “We’ve learned that this is going to be kinda nice.”

Follow Amelia @ameliavanyo