Sophomore twin sisters Dharshini and Varshini practice for their presentation on Friday, the 19th.

Suresh sisters present a new topic for healthcare

February 19, 2016

School clubs are a great way to find your passions and give you a niche in the midst of the busy day to day student life. The Health Occupation Student Association (HOSA) has been providing an outlet for students who want to chase after their calling of going into the medical field.

The purpose of the HOSA organization is to develop leadership and healthcare knowledge. Sophomore Varshini Suresh and her twin sister, Dharshini, use their passion to prepare to take their knowledge and skills to the next level.

Today, Varshini and Dharshini are presenting their chosen topic of stress on high school students to a board of judges, including assistant principals, teachers and other club advisors in attempt to make it to the state competition.

“I feel that [we’ve] been pressured to get good grades and it can be overwhelming,” Varshini said. “We want students to know it’s OK to feel stressed.”

Varshini and her sister have been planning their project for weeks now, surveying students around the school about how stress from school is carried through their daily life and activities. They have put a lot of thought into the presentation, their passion for awareness for their topic and for HOSA shining through.

The HOSA club has shown the possibilities of a future and a career in the medical field.

“I have always wanted to go into the medical field and I thought that HOSA would be a good way to express my passion for that,” Varshini said. “This project has definitely made me more passionate about HOSA because it has allowed my to make a difference.

Working with her sister, it has been a learning experience for both of them, but they both had the same goal of making a difference by spreading awareness.
“We thought that raising awareness is really important because there can be a lot of repercussion from high levels of stress,” Dharshini said. “I think that this has definitely been a fun and interesting experience.”