Purple Reign is the Future

January 22, 2016

Purple Reign is the Future

Rapper Future has yet again released a new mixtape, produced by DJ Esco and Metro Boomin. Purple Reign was set to release this past Sunday at 11:56 p.m., but was not released until Monday. The set release at 11:56 p.m. was a reference to his past album 56 nights and his friend/colleague DJ Esco who spent 56 nights in a jail in Dubai in 2014.

Purple Reign was widely accepted by his growing fan base, especially after this last year with the release of the critically acclaimed D2S and 56 Nights and his collaboration with Drake, What a Time to be Alive, making him the only artist to be on the top 40 rap albums of 2015 list by Rolling Stone twice. Not only that but both of his albums were in the top 15.

Purple Reign consists of 13 songs, none of which feature other artists. The entire mixtape is only about 40 minutes long. This mixtape is not too different from his other mixtapes or albums. The theme in Purple Reign stayed consistent with his more recent releases, with lyrics focusing on his now lavish lifestyle, his past rise to fame and coping with depression through drug abuse. The main difference with this mixtape deals with the beats, which personally I enjoyed a lot more that his other beats. This mixtape’s beats has a lot more mellow tones and a few naturalistic sounding beats, which was refreshing.

The first lyrical song on the mixtape “All Right” sets a good note for the rest of the mixtape. The beat of “All Right” is carried throughout the rest of the album for the most part. Even the lyrics go over what the rest of the mixtape focuses on, from talking to his ex-fiance, his problem with drugs and his success.

Another one of my favorites is “Never Forget,” which focused on his past and what he had to do to reach his fame. “Run Up” is another one of my favorites from the album. “Run Up” shows the talent of DJ Spinz, by creating a unique beat and putting his own spin on it and also Future’s talent, by showing how flexible of a rapper he is.

Purple Reign is by far my favorite release by Future, and will most likely be one of my favorite mixtapes for a while.